Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I didn't mean to imply any judgement
I know. I was just making it clear that I agreed with you. "Only in 'emergencies'".
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #32
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Whilst it's not a good habit to get into, at the end of the day it is up to you. I see no real moral problem if you remove the drm so you can correct the formatting or read on another device, so long as you delete or renew on or before the expiry of the loan. The dilemma, such as it is, is more a practical one. Will the temptation to keep the unencumbered copy, even just for a day or two beyond the expiry data, prove to be too great?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:07 AM   #33
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
For who anyone loves to read, it is always advisable to have a back up e-reader. In most countries, older model devices can be found cheap on ebay.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #34
Mr.Shortstop
Mr.Shortstop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 2.0, All-New Kindle
I have both Kobo and Kindle.
Gotta say that Amazon shopping experience is way much better than Kobo, though. Literally only shop on Kobo for 2 books...the rest is going for Google Play Books for epub/pdf formatted and transfer it by Adobe.

Kindle itself is a great Reader. But when you have collection of comics/graphic novels, 4 GB just won't enough. That's how i come across Kobo.

It 'upgradeable' storage might come in handy when you dealing with bunch of graphic book (not only comics, but also some textbooks with illustrations)
Mr.Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Shortstop View Post
I have both Kobo and Kindle.
Gotta say that Amazon shopping experience is way much better than Kobo, though. Literally only shop on Kobo for 2 books...the rest is going for Google Play Books for epub/pdf formatted and transfer it by Adobe.
Interesting. My experience is that shopping for ebooks, Amazon is definitely the easier except for not being able to use a cart for ebooks which annoys my credit card company but Kobo is well ahead of Google even when I don't sync the books to my ereader. If nothing else, the majority of the books I download from Kobo are not DRMed and simply download while even ebooks that are not DRMed require ADE to download from Google.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Interesting. My experience is that shopping for ebooks, Amazon is definitely the easier except for not being able to use a cart for ebooks which annoys my credit card company but Kobo is well ahead of Google even when I don't sync the books to my ereader. If nothing else, the majority of the books I download from Kobo are not DRMed and simply download while even ebooks that are not DRMed require ADE to download from Google.
I've always been able to download the books with no DRM as simple epub files from Google Play, the same as from Kobo. Have never required ADE for them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #37
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
never mind.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #38
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My experience is that shopping for ebooks, Amazon is definitely the easier except for not being able to use a cart for ebooks which annoys my credit card company but Kobo is well ahead of Google even when I don't sync the books to my ereader.
Yeah, that is inconvenient. I shop on my computer, not my e-reader, so I can use the "wish list" functionality for creating an ebook cart. However, this still requires a couple more clicks than adding a physical item to your cart.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #39
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
How does a 48hrs on a charger help the kindle? Just curious. Thanks

Last edited by HLS; 03-25-2018 at 09:52 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #40
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
My kindle is still going strong, but my birthday/mothers day are coming up. I was thinking that a second ereader might be an idea.

I am trying to work out the Kobo Aura H2O. I exclusively use list view and collections to keep order on my kindle. I can not work out if a version of that is possible on the Kobo Aura H2O?

While talking home screen and list vire, is it at all possible to increase the font size on the kindle voyage homepage?

My vision is not good/

Thanks
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
My kindle is still going strong, but my birthday/mothers day are coming up. I was thinking that a second ereader might be an idea.

I am trying to work out the Kobo Aura H2O. I exclusively use list view and collections to keep order on my kindle. I can not work out if a version of that is possible on the Kobo Aura H2O?
Kobo devices have a book list. This shows the cover, title, author name, series info, reading status, format and file size. The list can be filtered (all, unread, reading, finished, purchased (from kobo), previews, imported (effectively means sideloaded) and downloaded (all books on device)), and sorted (Recent, Date added, title, author, series, file size, file type).

As well as the book list, there are also Author (automatically built from all authors) and Collections (you create these) lists.
Quote:
While talking home screen and list vire, is it at all possible to increase the font size on the kindle voyage homepage?

My vision is not good/
Some time last year, Kobo added a "Large Print Mode" to the firmware. This makes the font used in the interface a lot bigger. Of course, it reduces the number of books shown on each page of the lists, but it should be clearer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #42
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have access to Overdrive via your local public library, you can borrow free ePub eBooks and read them with a Kobo but not a Kindle.
I have Kindle and use overdrive just fine. Most libraries offer more than just epub.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #43
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Whilst it's not a good habit to get into, at the end of the day it is up to you. I see no real moral problem if you remove the drm so you can correct the formatting or read on another device, so long as you delete or renew on or before the expiry of the loan. The dilemma, such as it is, is more a practical one. Will the temptation to keep the unencumbered copy, even just for a day or two beyond the expiry data, prove to be too great?

I do not think its wrong to strip DRM off an ebook as long as you are not selling the copy or distributing it free to other people. I feel we should be able to read our books on any device we choose after all we paid for it right?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I have Kindle and use overdrive just fine. Most libraries offer more than just epub.
Only in the US. The OP's in Australia.

Quote:
I do not think its wrong to strip DRM off an ebook as long as you are not selling the copy or distributing it free to other people. I feel we should be able to read our books on any device we choose after all we paid for it right?
Two comments: First, Darryl made essentially the same point with the important caveat that the book has to be deleted at the expiration date of the loan. You seem to be skating past that point; it's not ok to keep a library book so long as you're not selling it or distributing it for free.

Second, that you paid for a device has nothing whatsoever to do with the desire to read borrowed materials on it, either ethically and legally, your feelings notwithstanding.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
In the quote you are replying to, Darryl was referring to library books, not purchased books.

Books you purchase, have at it. Books you get from Overdrive, it's possible to strip the DRM and keep them forever. But you sure can't argue you paid for them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote