Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not a good idea (IMHO) because covers are not metadata.
Calibre treats them as Metadata. That is why the Metadata Editor has a COVER section.

Personally, the Greyscale thing belongs in the Send To Device as an per-DEVICE option. The Library keeps its Glory
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If covers were genuine metadata one might expect them to be stored in the metadata database. The books table only has a has_cover bool.

If they were stored in the metadata database that would open up the possibility of having more than one cover like you can have more than one tag. But for multiple reasons I am not advocating even one cover be stored in the database.

If a book has multiple covers I put them in a multi-page TIFF and store it as a format file. You have to apply the tweak that forces calibre to treat TIFFs as format files, rather than images to be converted to cover.jpgs.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Personally, the Greyscale thing belongs in the Send To Device as an per-DEVICE option. The Library keeps its Glory
I couldn't agree more.

Use Modify Epub and Polish for things you want to fix and stay fixed forever in your master library.

Use the various calibre device drivers to work around device-specific problems, or take advantage of device-specific features, on-the-fly during send-to-device.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre treats them as Metadata. That is why the Metadata Editor has a COVER section.

That is a very good idea to do the color to greyscale on send to Device for devices that do not support color.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a very good idea to do the color to greyscale on send to Device for devices that do not support color.
Genius idea. I wonder why nobody suggested it earlier.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:22 AM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Use Modify Epub and Polish for things you want to fix and stay fixed forever in your master library.

Use the various calibre device drivers to work around device-specific problems, or take advantage of device-specific features, on-the-fly during send-to-device.
I disagree with this being part of device drivers as those setting are not easily accessible. Putting it in the metadata plugboard tab would be better or maybe a seperate tab beside metadata plugboard. But we are arguing for just for the sake of arguing as Kovid has no plans for it. And I agree should not be part of modify epub.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never had an issue accessing device driver settings. Preferencs ! Plugins and expand the device driver section of the list and lock for my device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:38 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the feature was there, people would find it and access it if they wanted to use it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:22 AM   #24
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, I think this has strayed far enough. Grayscale covers ain't goin' into Modify, so discussion of where such a feature would most logically fit should go somewhere else.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When the device is connected, it is even easier:
It is on the DEVICE (view) icon pulldown
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Okay, I think this has strayed far enough. Grayscale covers ain't goin' into Modify, so discussion of where such a feature would most logically fit should go somewhere else.
Moderator Notice

+1

I can move the discussion to its own thread if you're interested

I'll delete any any further posts on the issue - including any from fellow moderators Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #27
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

+1

I can move the discussion to its own thread if you're interested

I'll delete any any further posts on the issue - including any from fellow moderators Ψ²

BR
You should as even if Kovid might not be interested someone else might come along that is willing to do the work.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #28
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Dopedangel's reasoning appears sound. It doesn't matter much to me either way, but if anyone was waiting for me to give permission, there ya go.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #29
moredrowsy
Connoisseur
moredrowsy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I could make a rather compelling argument to the contrary, especially given how often covers change when books get reprinted.
In my experience, different covers will usually be under different editions (different ISBN) and therefore will be made under a different book entry. I'm referring to ebooks. It's not like Calibre have one book entry with several different ISBN corresponding with different cover editions. So I agree with JSWolf. Better to have it through Sent To options than through metadata.

But honestly, while a grayscale feature would be nice, it's not really necessary; just don't cram every possible ebook in your device. In other words, don't be a hoarder.
moredrowsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #30
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moredrowsy View Post
But honestly, while a grayscale feature would be nice, it's not really necessary; just don't cram every possible ebook in your device. In other words, don't be a hoarder.
I wouldn't use the grayscale option myself, primarily because I don't use calibre to manage my ebooks. (Convert and edit, yes. Update metadata, sure. But I maintain my own library, in a software-independent fashion.)

As for hoarding, there are a few books that I keep on my reader, but most of them only stay there for as long as it takes me to read them. Once I finish a book, I delete it from there; I can always copy it back over for a reread.