Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-10-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
Pinarius
Pinarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 10th generation
How to set a cover for KUAL?

Is there any way to set a cover for KUAL as it was in older versions?
Pinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
cearp is working on it. See this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...31&postcount=6
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
cearp
cearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enough

Device: 📚
Here you go!
Just a cheap and quick extension to set and unset the cover for KUAL.
As always, look through the shell script files and see what they're actually doing, use at your own risk.

Basically just copies this image (already in the zip) to /mnt/us/system/thumbnails/ and applies that thumbnail path to ALL of the records (you likely just have 1) that have files ending in .kual, in cc.db.

Reboots after the operation, to refresh the library to get the cover to show.
I'm sure there's a better way to do that that rebooting, so if anyone knows - tell me please!
Attached Files
File Type: zip kualcoversetter.zip (55.9 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by cearp; 05-11-2022 at 04:14 PM.
cearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
Pinarius
Pinarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 10th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearp View Post
Here you go!
As always, look through the shell script files and see what they're actually doing, use at your own risk.

Basically just copies this image (already in the zip) to /mnt/us/system/thumbnails/ and applies that thumbnail path to ALL of the records (you likely just have 1) that have files ending in .kual, in cc.db.

I'm sure there's a better way to do that that rebooting, so if anyone knows - tell me please!
It worked! Thank you!
Pinarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Thanks cearp, works great!

Quick question: do you reckon this technique could be used to add a cover to any book, or is it just possible for KUAL?

I'm asking because since version 5.8.5, it hasn't been possible to have covers on AZW3 files downloaded through the Kindle cloud (the issue is summarized here). Several people (myself included) would be very interested in a way to bring back covers for those books!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #6
cearp
cearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enoughcearp will become famous soon enough

Device: 📚
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Quick question: do you reckon this technique could be used to add a cover to any book, or is it just possible for KUAL?
Sure, the same idea could be used to apply/change the thumbnail for any book.

In the specific situation you mention, this is what I envision the steps would be for possible solution, in the form of a KUAL extension:
  1. Query the cc.db to see which books are missing a thumbnail
  2. Parse those files to get the ASIN (or did I see it in the cc.db for the file? - maybe)
  3. Download the image for that ASIN, and that path to the thumbnail column for the book.

That would work well and not be so complicated for actual AZW files which have the ASIN present. If they don't, then we don't have so much to work with - unless the file is not drm protected, then we could extract the cover ourselves, but that would be more work.

Just to make it clear though, I won't develop this idea
cearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:31 AM   #7
darkassassinua
Kindle priest
darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Exclamation

Quote:
Here you go!
making a little update
1)Upscaled KUAL image to 1012x1320
2)now scripts using thumbnail_kual_portrait.jpg from kualcoversetter folder(no more moving file in system/thumbnails/)

just put kualcoversetter folder to extensions
Attached Files
File Type: zip kualcoversetter.zip (156.4 KB, 310 views)
darkassassinua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:00 AM   #8
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Sure, the same idea could be used to apply/change the thumbnail for any book.

That would work well and not be so complicated for actual AZW files which have the ASIN present. If they don't, then we don't have so much to work with - unless the file is not drm protected, then we could extract the cover ourselves, but that would be more work.
That’s great news! Unfortunately the ASIN actually gets overwritten with a random value in the process of uploading the book to the Kindle cloud, so I guess the covers would have to be extracted from the (DRM-free) AZW file. Would you have any pointers on how this can be done? There used to be a python script to do just that but it stopped working after fw 5.8.5, and as the developer dropped the project I always assumed it was no longer possible.

Quote:
Just to make it clear though, I won't develop this idea
Yes of course, didn’t mean to imply that I was expecting you to implement it, sorry if it came through this way I was just curious if this could be an avenue for someone with development skills, time, and most importantly an interest in this issue to possibly explore. If there is a way to extract images from AZW files then I might give it a shot myself (although I’m not much of a developer so no promises ).
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:58 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
That’s great news! Unfortunately the ASIN actually gets overwritten with a random value in the process of uploading the book to the Kindle cloud, so I guess the covers would have to be extracted from the (DRM-free) AZW file. Would you have any pointers on how this can be done?
The ScreenSavers Hack has code to extract cover images from various book formats.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #10
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
That script (ExtractCoverThumbs) can still do the job of extracting the cover and creating the thumbnail. So you would be left with "just" that final step of adding information into cc.db.

And unlike ScreenSaver hack's cover extracting code ExtractCoverThumbs correctly does its job for Calibre (& Amazon Previewer) generated KFX books

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-14-2022 at 07:05 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Patches welcome to update that bit of code, because I think someone mentioned it to me in a PM, and I had completely forgotten about it ;o).

(As should be painfully obvious, I also don't really have time to deal with it anyway ^p^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #12
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
I've recently demonstrated my shell script editing talents My Python skill are on par with those
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #13
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
Quote:
Here you go!

Thanks for the great extension, cearp! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Here is a cover I made that I am using right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_kual_portrait.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	193824  
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #14
EndlessEggroll
EndlessEggroll began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkassassinua View Post
making a little update
1)Upscaled KUAL image to 1012x1320
2)now scripts using thumbnail_kual_portrait.jpg from kualcoversetter folder(no more moving file in system/thumbnails/)

just put kualcoversetter folder to extensions
I applied it on my KOA3 and it doesn't seem to work, do you have any idea why?

I checked in cc.db and the change has been made but somehow the thumbnail doesn't appear in the library.
EndlessEggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #15
Stanner
Stanner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Extention mod

Quote:
Thank you for good extention!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
Here is a cover I made that I am using right now.
Thank you for good picture!

Today I have modified your extension to set skins for both KUAL and KOL. Now no reboot needed (image change after exit from KUAL), and image not deleted from extention folder after delete KUAL/KOL cover. Tested on my PW5.
Attached Files
File Type: zip coversetter.zip (493.2 KB, 716 views)
Stanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kual