Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 12:59 AM   #511
JPMYNWA
JPMYNWA began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KOA3
Trying this on a Voyage 3G, and I'm a little perplexed. When I do the initial reset, it immediately activates the Cellular antenna and contacts Amazon and forces me to login. All of the following steps seem to be off because my content is then available. (no getting started, etc...) I can't figure out how to bypass the amazon login. I'm not sure if this is the source of my problems or if I'm bumbling through some other part of the process.
Any advice?
Thanks,
JP
JPMYNWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:50 AM   #512
re4om
Enthusiast
re4om doesn't litterre4om doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG, Voyage
How exactly kindle force you to log in? Have you tried press a power button and hold - then select restart?
re4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 01:55 AM   #513
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMYNWA View Post
Trying this on a Voyage 3G, and I'm a little perplexed. When I do the initial reset, it immediately activates the Cellular antenna and contacts Amazon and forces me to login. All of the following steps seem to be off because my content is then available. (no getting started, etc...) I can't figure out how to bypass the amazon login. I'm not sure if this is the source of my problems or if I'm bumbling through some other part of the process.
Any advice?
Thanks,
JP
I also applied the jailbreak to my 3G voyage, I can confirm it’s possible. As far as I can tell there is no way to bypass the Amazon login, except maybe driving deep in the woods but it is possible to apply the jailbreak even after being logged in.

I found I didn’t have to do all the steps in the description (can’t remember which ones however as I also jailbroke a 3G Oasis, which also didn’t go exactly as per the description but in a different way, and I’m not sure what were the exact steps for each device), but overall if you follow the “flow” of the instructions you’ll eventually get it right. Both devices gave me the application error when trying to sideload the jb; you may have to reboot and enter the demo mode again without connecting to USB. As far as I can tell the Help & User Guide -> Getting Started menu item is available regardless of whether the kindle is in demo mode or not, or registered at Amazon or not, so it’s not clear why you didn’t have it; I’d just give it another go and go with the flow

Good luck!
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:30 AM   #514
Prle
Prle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by re4om View Post
@Prle, try to turn off "auto brightness" in kindle Settings menu or in KOreader: tools - more tools - "auto frontlight" turn off
Thanks a lot!!! I turn of "auto frontlight" in this "hidden" KOreader settings menu. Cheers.
Prle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:43 PM   #515
Gaqs
Enthusiast
Gaqs began at the beginning.

Device: KT4, PW3
5.14.3.0.1 update released today, how's everyone's jailbreak holding up?
Gaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #516
Flyfish
Banned
Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Flyfish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
Damn, please don't tell me it's that easy...

I thought it was enough matching the first four numbers, no mater the rest.

So just updating to the very FW version 5.12.2.2 shoud do the magic...
Ok, I'm on it and I'll post the result in order to help people with the same issue.

Many thanks!
Once updated, everything went just fine. Already jailbroken.

Many thanks for your work and efforts!
Flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:13 PM   #517
kbs24
kbs24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4, PW3, PW2021
Jailbroken, but took an update

My PW3 which was jailbroken a while ago just took an update to 5.14.2. KUAL won't open, so I ran the jailbreak hotfix. Still KUAL won't open. Is there anything I can do to get my jailbreak back? (This new method for <= 5.14.3 looks too complicated for me to try at this point.) Without being able to open KUAL, I am unable to reinstall any of the packages...any thoughts? I rebooted a couple of times. All of the files are still there, but no KUAL and my screensavers aren't running...
kbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #518
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24 View Post
My PW3 which was jailbroken a while ago just took an update to 5.14.2. KUAL won't open, so I ran the jailbreak hotfix. Still KUAL won't open. Is there anything I can do to get my jailbreak back? (This new method for <= 5.14.3 looks too complicated for me to try at this point.) Without being able to open KUAL, I am unable to reinstall any of the packages...any thoughts? I rebooted a couple of times. All of the files are still there, but no KUAL and my screensavers aren't running...
After a firmware update you have to reinstall KUAL and pretty much everything else.

You might want to look into the KUAL extension to rename OTA binaries so as to prevent firmware updates and also follow the thread on the firmware down grade tehnique that is currently being developed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:43 PM   #519
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaqs View Post
5.14.3.0.1 update released today, how's everyone's jailbreak holding up?
Oasis 3 is still holding strong, have not lost JB.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #520
kbs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
After a firmware update you have to reinstall KUAL and pretty much everything else.

You might want to look into the KUAL extension to rename OTA binaries so as to prevent firmware updates and also follow the thread on the firmware down grade tehnique that is currently being developed.
Trying to get the order of operations right. First, can I assume that the old jailbreak held up, or, how can I find out? Next, about KUAL, there is still a cover page in my library for it but it says the app is not available, so I should remove that cover from library, is that right? Then in order to re-install KUAL, it looks like I have to put the Booklet (coplate) .bin file into the mr packages directory, then run ;log mrpi in the searchbar and wait for MRPI to do its thing.
And if that doesn't work I would have to run the kual booklet hotfix install.bin via UYK, does this sound right? (I had to go through something like this on one of my very old Kindles, but I think I recall that all I had to do was run the jbhotfix......so I'm nervous with this one) Many thanks...
Old 05-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #521
kbs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24 View Post
Trying to get the order of operations right. First, can I assume that the old jailbreak held up, or, how can I find out? Next, about KUAL, there is still a cover page in my library for it but it says the app is not available, so I should remove that cover from library, is that right? Then in order to re-install KUAL, it looks like I have to put the Booklet (coplate) .bin file into the mr packages directory, then run ;log mrpi in the searchbar and wait for MRPI to do its thing.
And if that doesn't work I would have to run the kual booklet hotfix install.bin via UYK, does this sound right? (I had to go through something like this on one of my very old Kindles, but I think I recall that all I had to do was run the jbhotfix......so I'm nervous with this one) Many thanks...
Update: I was able to reinstall KUAL using ;log mrpi. Worked fine. I was then able to reinstall my other packages and using mrpi, and all is well. I also took your advice and installed the renameotabin extension. Hoping this will do it!!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:41 PM   #522
JPMYNWA
JPMYNWA began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I also applied the jailbreak to my 3G voyage, I can confirm it’s possible. As far as I can tell there is no way to bypass the Amazon login, except maybe driving deep in the woods but it is possible to apply the jailbreak even after being logged in.

I found I didn’t have to do all the steps in the description (can’t remember which ones however as I also jailbroke a 3G Oasis, which also didn’t go exactly as per the description but in a different way, and I’m not sure what were the exact steps for each device), but overall if you follow the “flow” of the instructions you’ll eventually get it right. Both devices gave me the application error when trying to sideload the jb; you may have to reboot and enter the demo mode again without connecting to USB. As far as I can tell the Help & User Guide -> Getting Started menu item is available regardless of whether the kindle is in demo mode or not, or registered at Amazon or not, so it’s not clear why you didn’t have it; I’d just give it another go and go with the flow

Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I was just getting hung up on the semantics of the instructions. I got it to work.
Thanks!
JPMYNWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:16 AM   #523
LuigiTheHunter
LuigiTheHunter began at the beginning.

Device: G000KA White Kindle Basic 2 (2016) KT3, KT3W Gen 8
Update to 5.13.4

Hello,

sorry if I overlooked it. But how do I update my kindle to match the version I have the KT3 and it's currently running 5.11.11.

I saw some posts but I don't understand how to generate the right link for the firmware update. I also found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW but this seems to just let me download version 5.14.3.0.1 which is to high.

I tried something like this but this is just trial and error https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...gen_5.13.4.bin

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LuigiTheHunter; 05-19-2022 at 04:19 AM.
LuigiTheHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:58 AM   #524
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Oasis 3 is still holding strong, have not lost JB.
I can confirm that too. Using the method described earlier in re4om's post is sufficient.
1. Restore OTA update binaries
2. Donwnload and update firmware
3. Restart (I did it 2 times for the safety sake)
4. Install JB hotfix
5. Reinstall MRpackages and KUAL
6. Rename OTA binaries

Last edited by LittleBiG; 05-19-2022 at 06:07 AM.
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:09 PM   #525
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBiG View Post
I can confirm that too. Using the method described earlier in re4om's post is sufficient.
1. Restore OTA update binaries
2. Donwnload and update firmware
3. Restart (I did it 2 times for the safety sake)
4. Install JB hotfix
5. Reinstall MRpackages and KUAL
6. Rename OTA binaries
Renaming the OTA binaries only prevents over the air updates, not updates downloaded and copied. It should not be necessary to restore OTA binaries to do a manual update.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak