Device: kindle paperwhite
Kobo Sage Error when sending from Calibre to Kobo Sage

Hello,

I'm getting the following error when trying to send some books to my Kobo Sage
Firmware: 4.32.195.01

calibre, version 5.42.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TimeoutError</b>:[Errno 60] Operation timed out

calibre 5.42 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
macOS-10.16-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '21.4.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 21.4.0: Fri Mar 18 00:45:05 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.101.4~15/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 3.8.5
OSX: ('10.16', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && KePub Metadata Reader (3, 4, 3) && KePub Metadata Writer (3, 4, 3) && KePub Output (3, 5, 3) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 0) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 5, 4)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 1324, in dispatch_sync_event
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 1521, in sync_to_device
File "calibre/gui2/library/models.py", line 700, in get_preferred_formats_from_ids
File "calibre/db/legacy.py", line 455, in copy_format_to
File "calibre/db/cache.py", line 74, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre/db/cache.py", line 841, in copy_format_to
File "calibre/db/backend.py", line 1562, in copy_format_to
File "shutil.py", line 202, in copyfileobj
TimeoutError: [Errno 60] Operation timed out
ctm3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As far as I can tell, that is happening before the device becomes involved. Calibre is making a copy of the book in the temporary storage/directory before updating the metadata, cover or doing any other changes.

That makes me think it is something in the OS that is cause. Usually, it is either space or permissions causing problems like this. But, a time out is strange unless the copy was happening over the network. You need to check where temporary files are created and that you have access and can use it. Beyond that, I don't use a Mac, so can't say for sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
ctm3rd
ctm3rd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As far as I can tell, that is happening before the device becomes involved. Calibre is making a copy of the book in the temporary storage/directory before updating the metadata, cover or doing any other changes.

That makes me think it is something in the OS that is cause. Usually, it is either space or permissions causing problems like this. But, a time out is strange unless the copy was happening over the network. You need to check where temporary files are created and that you have access and can use it. Beyond that, I don't use a Mac, so can't say for sure.
After reading your reply, I immediately knew the issue. I have my calibre library on OneDrive. This allows me access to my books anywhere. The OneDrive app was not running. Starting OneDrive fixed the issue.

Thanks so much for your help!
ctm3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Do not use a live library on any remote storage or cloud service. Use them only for backup. You will lose or corrupt the library if Calibre accesses other than a local file. This is not a Calibre issue, but an aspect of networked storage and applications expecting local files. Over 30 year old issue. Only use applications designed for networked files with "cloud", NAS etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm3rd View Post
After reading your reply, I immediately knew the issue. I have my calibre library on OneDrive. This allows me access to my books anywhere. The OneDrive app was not running. Starting OneDrive fixed the issue.

Thanks so much for your help!
Good luck with your library once it becomes corrupted (which it will). It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Get it off of OneDrive and never ever put your library on any cloud storage ever again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote