Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
super-short stories or books?

Hey,

I have plenty of e-books that can take 2 hours or more to read. This is great for uninterrupted at home reading. However I am looking for material that can be read in tiny doses...maybe 5-10 minute intervals (magazine length I guess) each. Basically something quick to read and finish, so I actually can put it down (I have a problem with getting into a book and not wanting to put it down until its finished, I guess it is a bad compulsion...)

Anyhow any ideas? format isn't a huge issue (well sometimes...no Amazon for me...yet) I like mysteries, Sci Fi, History, all kinds of fiction, so I am open to most suggestions (and where to get them). A big thank you in advance to all who contribute.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Ellory Queen Mystery Magazine
Alfred Hitchcock Mystey Magazine
Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine

Short stories compilations. Some good ones are by Flannery O'connor, Stephen King, Joyce Carol Oates, etc.

All available in ebook format.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Asimov's and Analog are both available in digital editions.

I'll be able to supply a few more obscure links later when I get a chance.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Tor.com have a bunch of free SF&F short stories available to read online or to download in multiple formats.

http://www.tor.com/stories
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
I love short sci-fi for quick reads. I have been a bit dissatisfied with Analog on Kindle, primarily due to formatting (if you are going to charge me that much, you could make it easy to navigate) and DRM issues. Amazon does not treat magazines the same as books, and with the new firmware, I can't De-DRM so that I can put all of them on my new Kindle that replaced my broken one under warranty. They are not available for perpetual download to new devices. Only the last 6 issues or so.

As I was looking for a better solution, I found Baen's Universe. Sadly, Jim Baen passed away shortly after the launch of the magazine. It aimed to have twice the volume of work as similar publications, pay descent rates to writers, and attract top talent.

Baen's Universe ended it's run April 2010. It looks to me like there are 24 quality issues. You can subscribe to it for 30 bucks, and receive rights to download as much as you want of them, DRM free, for one year. That is a great deal. I am getting ready to do it.

Here is a list of all the issues available. http://baens-universe.com/issues/

Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
A few sites with free SF shorts that I ran across recently:

http://www.daikaijuzine.com/dkz/

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/

http://www.darkwaves.com/newsfch/Fiction/Short_Stories/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
ManyBooks has a number of short works. There are a good number of SF stories in their "Post-30s" genre option that are extracted from SF magazines (e.g. Astounding, ...). Their "short store" genre listing also has some good pickings.

http://manybooks.net/categories/

Also, Allegory Magazine ( http://www.allegoryezine.com/ ) publishes short fiction in simple downloadable PDF format.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I've been reading Andrew Lang's Fairy books when it's too late at night to get into a new story or I'm getting ready to go to bed.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I'm gunna recommend The Best American Short Stories series. Every year they pick some hot shot author to edit together a collection of the best short stories a long with a blurb and some information about the authors. These are probably going to be hard to find as an ebook but, really, you can look at the tables of contents on amazon.com and then find a lot of these for free on the web. Just place them into whatever document or file that your ereader likes to play with and you're all set.

v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Seach for anthologies.
Great way to get introduced to new authors

A little trick I play on myself when I really have to go to sleep or do something else and don't want to stop reading current book is to and read a page or three. Doesn't always work but often does
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
For free science fiction, I'd suggest Infinity Plus. http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/index.htm

Or Best Science Fiction Stories. http://bestsciencefictionstories.com/
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote