Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Iraqvetwpb
Iraqvetwpb began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm searching for a book Sci-fi / Eye of the Needle

Years ago, back when I was a teen, I read a Sci-fi book called either "The Eye of the Needle" or "Through the Eye of the Needle"

The cover had what looked like a small rocket ship with an arch doorway that people had come through.

In the book, a group of people had gone through the doorway and ended up on a different planet. Not able to go back, they had to build and reinvent or remake everything. They started a new society that grew into. Communities were spreading across the land.

One person, the scientist who had invented the eye kept working to find a way back. Finally he succeeded in opening a door way that would work both ways. He went through, came out in a dark alleyway, looking around in despair, he found a news paper blowing across the ground. He opened it, read most of it, realizing that the society that they had built was far better off staying there than coming back. He went back through and destroyed his invention.

That’s the gist of the story, if someone can direct me to a copy of this I would be thankful.

Jim C.
Iraqvetwpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a certain amount of books with that title, even some within the same genre. But I can't seem to find that specific book you are seeking. If you had the author's name it would help. You can always try and see if you can find it in this selection of books with roughly the same name. Good luck

http://www.comparebookprices.ca/book..._a_Needle.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvetwpb View Post

Years ago, back when I was a teen, I read a Sci-fi book called either "The Eye of the Needle" or "Through the Eye of the Needle"

The cover had what looked like a small rocket ship with an arch doorway that people had come through.

In the book, a group of people had gone through the doorway and ended up on a different planet. Not able to go back, they had to build and reinvent or remake everything. They started a new society that grew into. Communities were spreading across the land.

One person, the scientist who had invented the eye kept working to find a way back. Finally he succeeded in opening a door way that would work both ways. He went through, came out in a dark alleyway, looking around in despair, he found a news paper blowing across the ground. He opened it, read most of it, realizing that the society that they had built was far better off staying there than coming back. He went back through and destroyed his invention.

That’s the gist of the story, if someone can direct me to a copy of this I would be thankful.

Jim C.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Got a feeling it might be Costigan's Needle by Jerry Sohl
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I have a vague memory of a sifi book with a similar name......
now what the heck was it ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There's also Hal Clement's sequel.

Here's the original cover for "Needle" and then the cover for sequel "Through the Eye of the Needle."

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	needle.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	78672   Click image for larger version

Name:	through.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	78673  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There's also Hal Clement's sequel.

Here's the original cover for "Needle" and then the cover for sequel "Through the Eye of the Needle."

Don
Hal Clement's story line doesn't match though, it relates to an alien that acts as a symbiote in a human to hunt down an alien criminal...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Jim C.
Sounds like an interesting story. Plot sounds like "golden age" stuff. I'd be interested in reading myself is someone can come up with the name/title/author.

Oh, and WELCOME to MobileRead!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:

Jim C.
Needle by Hal Clement

Through the Eye of a Needle by Hal Clement

Last edited by alansplace; 11-06-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Needle books by Hal Clement
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Those were mentioned above and thought to be a different story...
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here we go. I think you got the title slightly wrong...perhaps.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	costigan1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	78684   Click image for larger version

Name:	costigan2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	78685  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
kennyc

Hey! Look at that!

http://www.amazon.com/Costigans-Need.../dp/0738836591

P.S. one totally random reason I clicked on this thread was that I'm working intermittently on a non-fiction piece I've tentatively titled "Eye of the Needle"

Last edited by kennyc; 11-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Costigan's Needle by Jerry Sohl

Quote:
Here we go. I think you got the title slightly wrong...perhaps.

Don
ok, then kindle has it too (and no drm)

Costigan's Needle by Jerry Sohl

Last edited by alansplace; 11-06-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add something
Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
ok, then kindle has it too

Costigan's Needle by Jerry Sohl

I went to my "Special Site Known Only to a Few Sentient Creatures" and found these two covers.

Don
Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
I went to my "Special Site Known Only to a Few Sentient Creatures" and found these two covers.

Don
Yeah, ya did...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool crappy covers (find replacements with google images)

Quote:

Don
well that's a good thing because a lot of kindle covers are really crappy