Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
blackonblack
blackonblack began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Few Nook Question and Question on Nook 3G vs WiFi

I have a few questions regarding the two versions of the Nook. Does the Nook 3G offer FREE wireless internet even when not connected to a WiFi network like a cell phone? I have an iPhone and I get the best speed when on WiFi but the 3G works when I am out of WiFi range.

OR does the 3G version of the Nook just mean you can BUY books through the Nooks interface and download them wirelessly through 3G when not connected to a WiFi?

The reason this is important to me because I only plan to buy a Nook to read downloaded pdf and epub books. I am not buying it to be able to buy more books on it wirelessly.So if the 3G Nook is only for such function it would be of no value for me.

Also, if you transfer a downloaded epud book to a Nook is there a way you can add it to the B&N Library on your nook so you can browse for it using the cover like you can on B&N downloaded books. Because on my friends Nook when he added a epub via USB cable you can only find it on the List when under My Documents.

I truly appreciate any help/answers. Thank you
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Iamboring
Iamboring began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
I have a few questions regarding the two versions of the Nook. Does the Nook 3G offer FREE wireless internet even when not connected to a WiFi network like a cell phone? I have an iPhone and I get the best speed when on WiFi but the 3G works when I am out of WiFi range.
No.

Quote:
OR does the 3G version of the Nook just mean you can BUY books through the Nooks interface and download them wirelessly through 3G when not connected to a WiFi?
Yes.

Quote:
The reason this is important to me because I only plan to buy a Nook to read downloaded pdf and epub books. I am not buying it to be able to buy more books on it wirelessly.So if the 3G Nook is only for such function it would be of no value for me.
Sounds like you want a nook Wi-Fi then.

Quote:
Also, if you transfer a downloaded epud book to a Nook is there a way you can add it to the B&N Library on your nook so you can browse for it using the cover like you can on B&N downloaded books. Because on my friends Nook when he added a epub via USB cable you can only find it on the List when under My Documents.
It works on a rooted nook if you use nooklauncher/my Books instead of the default B&N launcher.

Last edited by Iamboring; 06-25-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Iamboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Hi, Iamboring, I also have a question regarding the perceived potential difference between the two, I read in another thread that with softrooted Nook of the 3G version, you can set it up to use your local SIM card for internet access. With the wifi only version, they obviously removed the 3G module. So if the 3G module is removed and if I am in a foreign country that I don't have my wireless home network access and need to use a prepaid SIM card or such for internet access, do I have to get a 3G version or does a wifi only nook also works? Also, does RSS reader work well on wifi-only version with home wireless connection?

I am asking this also because I dont currently buy books from B&N bookstore (most titles I searched seems to be more expensive than amazon and Sony ebook store) and 3G for buy books only does not do me much good, so I am looking at if there is any potential value to go for a 3G after it is softrooted, such as the SIM card usage I am thinking right now, but not sure if wifi only version can also use SIM card to access internet.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #4
Iamboring
Iamboring began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
Hi, Iamboring, I also have a question regarding the perceived potential difference between the two, I read in another thread that with softrooted Nook of the 3G version, you can set it up to use your local SIM card for internet access.
Yes, you can put in a prepaid sim card into the 3G slot and use it (although it requires a rooted nook and some configuration.

The cellular radio is physically absent from the Wi-Fi model - there is no slot to put a SIM card in.

So if you want to do what you describe, you will need to get a 3G model.
Iamboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
blackonblack
blackonblack began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
3g

I don't understand the fascination when rooting a 3g nook and using a sim card to gain 3g internet. The internet on the nook quite frankly sucks. If you take your sim out of your cell phone and put in in your nook your cell phone will likely have better internet capabilities than the nook to begin with.
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert