Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
mh445
Enthusiast
mh445 began at the beginning.

Device: none
At last, fast PDF annotations! (Hanvon N518 with new firmware)

Finally. There it is, what I was waiting for. The new Hanvon/Hexaglot N518 firmware supports annotions in PDF, that get saved in the PDF file itself. So you can easily view the original PDF with your annotations at your PC. They also added features like search in PDF and reflow, whose absense got the N518 negative reviews in the past. Together with the fast response to pen input (look at some videos!) this finally seems to be a reader that fits my needs. As far as I can see, this is the first ebook with fast and usable PDF annotations, therefore I put this in the "News" section.
(The PocketBook 302 looked promising, but fixing the bugs in the current firmware seems to keep the PocketBook folks so busy that they still have no real PDF annotation function.)

Question is: Does the N518 live up to its advertisement? Has anyone tested the new firmware?
mh445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Got any links to those videos you talk about?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
mh445
Enthusiast

Just search for "N518" at YouTube. For instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcN28YIxVZc (at 1:00)
Although it seems to be a bit slower now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7jY0I6ivKw (at 5:00)

The Sony 600 seems to be slower. (I had it worse in mind)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4VkRbfrFY (2:50)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first video is from CBIT 2009... I doubt it shows the new firmware. Does the second video show the new firmware?

BOb
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
mh445
Enthusiast

No it doesn't. That's why I ask:
Quote:
Has anyone tested the new firmware?
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Indeed you did. I find I can read a lot more post if I don't actually read them all the way through.

BOb