Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
squidward
squidward began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre epub output details and Nook

I apologize in advance if this needs to be moved to the Nook section.

I am completely new to the ebook scene having just bought my first device, a Nook. I have some htm books that I am converting to epub format. Everything works great, the covers load as page 1 (not in cover flow unfortunately), spacing and returns are correct. However, the book "details" are not transferring to the Nook.

On the Info screen of a book, it shows:
Title
Author
(full width line)
"Details" (appears to be a simple title)
"Publication Date:" Date
"File Path:" Path

In Calibre, I edit the Meta Information. I change the "Date:" field, the "Published:" field, the "Comments" field, but it does not appear that this information is transferring to the Nook. In fact, the Publication Date field that does appear seems to be the "Date Modified" date as shown in Windows.

Thanks in advance for your help. Great tools and information.
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the Nook (probably) doesn't support any of that metadata. You can insert it into the contents of the book itself as a "jacket" page by going to the Look & Feel section in the conversion options, when converting the book.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
squidward

Thank you for the advice. I am working on it now. However, the character formatting is not coming out very well. One line returns are being ignored and the text is completely running together. And two returns is showing up as text as "<br/><br/>" which maybe should be "</br></br>". Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that a glitch?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not quite sure what you mean?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
squidward

Yep, sorry. In Calibre, in the Comments field, I type up my comments. I take your advice and under Structure Detection, I check the box for "Insert metadata as page at start of book" However, once this is transferred to the nook, anywhere I've entered a single return, the return is ignored and a space is inserted instead so two lines run together. Anywhere I've entered two returns, like to start a new paragraph, then the <br/><br/> error I wrote above appears which looks like html code but with the leading slash at the end of the tag.

Hopefully that is clearer. Thanks again for the help.
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sounds like a bug. Open a ticket and I'll look into it.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
I just bought a color nook and Im converting other formats to one it can read. Preferably I'd go with epub but, as is the case with trying to convert from pdb, that doens't seem to convert on Calibre. I also tried converting from pdb to pdf with the same result - it converts the cover but not the body of the book. Any help gratefully appreciated.
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote