Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
wow. companies usually make a killing off of selling things like this. i'm surprised sony isn't selling them yet, even at $10 a pop. i'll admit i never use mine and hopefully it'll never accidentally pop out of that slot and disappear. maybe sony will sell them sooner or later.
My theory is that Sony messed up in preparing the materials for it and it has thus slipped through the cracks. In my investigations it became obvious that all of the service people believed that this was an "optional accessory" based on the documentation (and notwithstanding my repeated explanations that this was not in fact the case and that the stylus came inserted in the device out of the box). Because the documentation already identifies it as an optional accessory I think that Sony somehow has convinced itself that it is already available and therefore hasn't proceeded to actually manifest this into reality.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I think I may be a little unique in that the ability to take handwritten notes at work without the need for a legal pad was one of the reasons I got this device. The ability to take handwritten notes and not have to remember a separate stylus pen when I go to a meeting is important to me (since I inevitably don't remember).
do you find it fast enough to use it for this? i've only played with notes a little bit and it seemed very slow to me (but it was notes on a book page, so maybe the 2 layers were causing the slow down) infact far slower than my newton 2100 which even performs recognition!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #18
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Quote:
do you find it fast enough to use it for this? i've only played with notes a little bit and it seemed very slow to me (but it was notes on a book page, so maybe the 2 layers were causing the slow down) infact far slower than my newton 2100 which even performs recognition!
I find it fine. It definitely lags a little behind but only by a letter or so, not by whole words or lines. Maybe it is because my notes tend to be carefully crafted rather than an attempt to write things down word for word. The hardest thing is that, because I have been transferring them to OneNote through the clip feature I have to be careful not to write all the way to the bottom of the page since it won't all display on the small screen of my laptop and OneNote won't clip from screens where you need to scroll to get the whole clip (at least not so far as I have found).

Mel
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #19
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Does the stylus scratch the screen at all when you use it for note taking?

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #20
MelC
Evangelist

Haven't got any scratches yet. Had the reader since it came out.
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #21
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm not really using my stylus either (just for trying out the drawing pad), but I wouldn't like to see an empty slot on my reader. Maybe I'll look if I can make the stylus sitting tighter in the slot so I won't lose it.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The point is, though, that you don't have to "wait" for it. Just carry on writing and the screen will "catch up". My primary use for my 600 is for annotating documents, and after a few days practice, free-hand writing works extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Does the stylus scratch the screen at all when you use it for note taking?

Robert
No scratches on mine, and I use annotation a lot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote