Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Are Romanian diacritics displayed correctly?

Hello,

This is my first post, after the introduction. I am planning to get a Sony PRS-600 and I was wondering if the unit can display correctly diacritics. I have a few books in Romanian, and I was wondering if I can enjoy them fully on my new reader or not. For those who are not familiar, the Romanian language has a a couple of letters with a circumflex accent on top (for a and i), as well as a couple of letters with cedilla (or comma) under them (for t and s).

I noticed that in some instances, these letters are not displayed correctly. Does anyone know if that is the case with Sony Reader too?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
What format are your files in? I have found with my Sony PRS-505 that I can display diacritics and foreign text (Greek, Sanskrit, Croatian, Spanish) if it is in pdf format, and my french books in epub also display correctly. If your files are in some sort of word / rtf / txt format you can use a free pdf creator to convert them into pdf files (and increase the font, decrease the margins, etc. to make reading more pleasant). Epub might work as well.

Hope this helps a bit!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
What format are your files in?
Well... there are various formats. Some of them are doc, some rtf, some pdf.
I just wanted to be ahead of the game, and know what to expect for the time when I'll get my reader. I can also convert them to pdf - no problem, as I have Adobe Acrobat.

Thanks for your answer, Latinandgreek.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you use ePub or PDF (screen sized), you can embed whatever fonts you want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote