Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
To Nook or not to Nook, that is the question.

Here is my dilemma. I bought a Kindle and am still in my 30 day return period. I have until the 15th to return it. I preordered the Nook, but am torn. It would be nice if I had a side by side. What are the chances there will be more hands on time with it before the 15th? One thing I am interested in is the refresh rate. In the videos it seems unusually longer than the Kindle. Also, real world battery life tests. I love the fact that my Kindle lasts two weeks on my shelf.

I'm pretty torn.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
I had a preorder for the nook but I cancelled it but I'm gonna hold out just a bit longer before ordering the kindle. The ebooks are just so much cheaper on the kindle store, sometimes upto 10 dollars cheaper or more) and I just couldn't deal with that. The hardware is nice on the nook but if the kindle 3 were to ever come out I'm sure a lot of the features would be mimicked or improved.

I'm still clinging onto hope though that BN will drop their prices and I'll reorder the nook.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm hoping also that B&N will change their pricing structure, although I have to admit, the ebooks I've bought from there, I bought because they were cheaper than anywhere else I could get them (I don't have a Kindle, and therefore no access to Amazon's pricing).
I'm on the fence about the Nook, myself. I have an EZ Reader that I love, and it handles every format I throw at it (except .lit files, which it locks up on - never did find out why). I don't know if I want to give up folder support and multi format capability for a new "ooohh shiny" device.
As it is, I already know (barring horrible reviews) that I'm getting an Archos 9 tablet after the first of the year. I don't know if I can justify a new e-ink device AND the Archos, since the Archos runs Windows and therefore will handle everything I throw at it with no configuration hassles. And before anyone starts up the old LCD vs. e-ink controversy, I can read on anything with no eyestrain or headaches, I just want the portability.

*edited to add - PC for Kindle may change that...

Last edited by phenomshel; 10-22-2009 at 04:15 PM.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
jkeranen
jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jkeranen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS 505/B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
The ebooks are just so much cheaper on the kindle store, sometimes upto 10 dollars cheaper or more) and I just couldn't deal with that.
One nice thing about the nook is that you should be able to buy books from other stores using epub format. That might help with price competition.

You will also be able to use your B&N books on devices from other manufacturers so maybe less device lock in is worth a small premium.
jkeranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeranen View Post
One nice thing about the nook is that you should be able to buy books from other stores using epub format. That might help with price competition.

You will also be able to use your B&N books on devices from other manufacturers so maybe less device lock in is worth a small premium.
Yeah, exactly.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
Here is my dilemma. I bought a Kindle and am still in my 30 day return period. I have until the 15th to return it. I preordered the Nook, but am torn. It would be nice if I had a side by side. What are the chances there will be more hands on time with it before the 15th? One thing I am interested in is the refresh rate. In the videos it seems unusually longer than the Kindle. Also, real world battery life tests. I love the fact that my Kindle lasts two weeks on my shelf.

I'm pretty torn.
I was in the same boat (I just bought a PRS600 and am within the return stage). The thing is, from everything I have read, the Nook won't be out until the END of November... So there won't be any side by side comparisons and still be before the 15th (of November I am assuming). I even have an "old" PRS505 that I can use until the Nook would come out, but I just like my 600 and don't want to return it for something on a "possible" like threshold.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I would not bank too much on the promise of a future reader. Frankly there is too much you don't know. Battery life in real use, for instance. That little color inset has to eat up current. Also, there are benefits to the Kindle like the "read out-loud" function that the Nook won't have. I have the sony and the Kindle and have no interest in the nook so far.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
MetaEbooks
Connoisseur
MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MetaEbooks has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeranen View Post

and, don't forget you can borrow ebooks from libraries for nook but not kindle.
MetaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
lostknitter
lostknitter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaEbooks View Post
Has that been confirmed? That has been my biggest question. I have ordered the nook and am really hoping this is true. If not, I may cancel and get a Sony. I keep checking the discussions on the Nook page, but haven't seen anything to finally answer that question. I will be a happy reader if it is so.
lostknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post

I'm pretty torn.
Why would you want a Kindle? Kindles are pretty much obsolete after the Nook release.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
nevermind
nevermind began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3G S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
Why would you want a Kindle? Kindles are pretty much obsolete after the Nook release.
Not if the B&N ebook prices don't come down it's not.

I was so ready to buy two of these (me and my wife) but I have since calmed down. The content is, in many cases, much more expensive.

I guess my wait for an ebook reader continues.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
NOT TRUE! there is a post from DesertGrandma around here somewhere (maybe it needs to become a sticky hint hint!) detailing the procedure
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Why would the Kindle be obsolete? That is ludicrous.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
More details please.....

Quote:
Yes you can.

You download the ebook (mobipocket) to your computer as usual. Run the kindlefix script. UPload to your kindle.

The book automatically 'closes' at the end of the loan period. No harm, no foul.

Yes, its a little more detailed than the Sony, but you CAN borrow library books! At one time we had directions, but were directed to take them down.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Most library books are epub & pdf. NYPL doesn't seem to be ordering mobipocket books anymore nor is another library I can get books at. Mobipocket is probably going away completely soon to be replaced with the kindle format who so far isn't open to the idea of the library.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote