Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Wozzzaaa
Copyright Liberationist
Wozzzaaa is on a distinguished road

Device: Eslick
Hello from Australia

Hello
Iam Wozzzaaa from Australia, ive just bought my first ebook reader, a Foxit Eslick. I must say, iam a bit dissapointed in it. Anybody else got one of these? Whats the best forum to discuss it?

Cheers!!!
Wozzzaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum, Wozzzaaa.

Do tell us why the Foxit ESlick is a disappointment. We haven't had many reviews, so comments are welcome.
I see that we have a wiki page for the device:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ESlick

but we don't yet have a dedicated section of the forum.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Another Aussie is always welcome

What on earth is an Eslick?

Update: After looking at the eSlick website, I'm not surprised you're disappointed. It only supports PDF and TXT files! Ouch!

Last edited by grimo1re; 10-11-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Update: looked at eSlick website
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Welcome!

Huh - I've never heard of the Eslick. Sorry to hear it's been a disappointment though
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hello and welcome! I have a Kindle 2 and love it.

What part of Australia are you living in? I was privileged once to spend a week in Sydney in the late 60s and it was great. In those days, the women outnumbered the men about 7 to 1 in that city.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Wozzzaaa
Copyright Liberationist

Hey Everyone
Iam from Perth, Western Australia, called Dullesville by some, Paradise by others.

The Eslick was a bit of an impulse buy unfortunately, something which is very out of character for me. I bought it because the price was so cheap & they were shipping it overseas. To rub salt into a week after I bought it Amazon announced they will be shipping the kindle world wide.

I would be more then happy to review it, what forum would be the best home for it?

Cheers!!

Wozzzaaa
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
Wozzzaaa
Copyright Liberationist

Foxit have promised support for Epub & other formats in the next firmware version, & there is evidence of very active firmware development on their forums.

I will write a longer review later, but In short, my biggest problems with the eslick are

- Horribly Unstable
Stability while reading a large PDF is absolutely shocking. Iam reading Let The Right One In (Awesome book, highly recommended) & Eslick locks up practically every 50 pages. To reset I have to remove it out of the leather jacket & hunt for a paperclip. This is a huge nuisance since it fits very snuggly into the leather jacket. Ive resorted to carrying a paperclip around at all times now.

- Loss of Bookmark
Sometimes when it locks up, it doesnt remember what page I was upto.

- Short battery life.
So far, i estimate battery life of about 400 page turns.

Very very disappointing.

Last edited by Wozzzaaa; 10-12-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Wozzzaaa, welcome to MobilRead.
Perhaps some of your problems with your reader are both time related (battery life will improve after a few chargings) and specific book related (Both crashing and losing bookmarks) I sometimes have this same problem with some pdf files in my Sony. Other pdf files read though just fine.
Let's hope that all your problems resolve themselves either though time or firmware upgrades. E-books can be such a delight... when everything is working correctly!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
Wozzzaaa
Copyright Liberationist

Hehehehe, thanks, i was thinking on the lines of something similar. Battery life doesnt bother me as i can charge it nightly, but it makes it hard when all Eslick currently supports is txt & PDF. If this new firmware they are promising will support EPUB, all will be good, otherwise onto Ebay the Eslick will go!!!

I wish i could pot open Inkpot on it but no support yet

Last edited by Wozzzaaa; 10-12-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Seems pretty limited, Wozzzaa. If you'd like to drop me an email, though, I'll send you as attachments a couple of recrent novels set in Australia (in PDF) to nicely fill in a few hours. Good to have your company. Neil

ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, Wozzzaa: if you check your email, you'll find both ebooks. Come back for more any time. Maybe we can keep you reading happily until the new firmware comes along for Eslick. Cheers. Neil

www.bewrite.net
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzzaaa View Post
Hey Everyone
Iam from Perth, Western Australia, called Dullesville by some, Paradise by others.
And what would you call it, Wozzzaaa?

I found Sydney to be pretty exciting. Of course, it's nearly 4,000 kilometers from where you are, so I'm not suggesting you take a day to visit, but it is nice.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 AM   #14
Wozzzaaa
Copyright Liberationist

I would call it somewhere in between. Due to our moronic state government, all the shops close 6:00pm & are closed on Sundays - its illegal to trade outside tightly regulated regular business hours. So after dark there is not much to do. Everything is closed.

If your older, then its peaceful, quiet, relaxing, relatively unspoilt, there isnt that much of a frantic rat-race like on the East Coast. Ive been to Sydney & didnt like it much, everybody there seems to work waay too hard, usually by necessity due to high cost of living.

Overall Perth, is good, a country town growing up very fast in its mid 20's i reckon.

Incidentally, while Foxit Corp. in in the USA, my Eslick was shipped to me directly from China!!

Last edited by Wozzzaaa; 10-13-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzzaaa View Post
I would call it somewhere in between. Due to our moronic state government, all the shops close 6:00pm & are closed on Sundays - its illegal to trade outside tightly regulated regular business hours. So after dark there is not much to do. Everything is closed.

If your older, then its peaceful, quiet, relaxing, relatively unspoilt, there isnt that much of a frantic rat-race like on the East Coast. Ive been to Sydney & didnt like it much, everybody there seems to work waay too hard, usually by necessity due to high cost of living.

Overall Perth, is good, a country town growing up very fast in its mid 20's i reckon.

Incidentally, while Foxit Corp. in in the USA, my Eslick was shipped to me directly from China!!
I used to think 'd like to live in the remote boonies with a convenience store and a large library within walking distance. Now I think a computer, a convenience store, and a Kindle is all I'd need. But there are times when big city life is appealing.