Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #31
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
There, how was your fishing trip?
I caught three Wellington boots and someone put maggots in my ham sandwich
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #32
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I caught three Wellington boots and someone put maggots in my ham sandwich
A good time had by all, then...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #33
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyben View Post
I'm now left trying to decide between Feedbooks and Smashwords. Decisions, decisions...
The process is slightly easier on Smashwords but it's mostly because they provide just a very basic conversion, while at Feedbooks we offer a real publishing workflow with a better output (nested TOC, better metadata, hyphenated text in PDF etc.).

Overall, Feedbooks is much more popular than Smashwords, some self-published books will soon reach 10.000 downloads (http://feedbooks.com/userbook/3115 or http://feedbooks.com/userbook/120).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just downloaded the ePub and it looks like the text has been setup in rather large tables. Can this be fixed? Also, why are we getting apostrophes and quotes reversed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #35
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Erm... None.
Quote:
The process is slightly easier on Smashwords but it's mostly because they provide just a very basic conversion, while at Feedbooks we offer a real publishing workflow with a better output (nested TOC, better metadata, hyphenated text in PDF etc.).
Well, I went over and had a look. The process involved a certain amount of faffing about, but once I got the hang of it it was pretty simple- so I put Living History up, and I guess I'm now officially a Feedbooks patron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just downloaded the ePub and it looks like the text has been setup in rather large tables. Can this be fixed? Also, why are we getting apostrophes and quotes reversed?
Erm, I have no idea. I'd guess that it's a formatting error caused by something in the Smashwords conversion process, but I can't be sure. I don't have EPUB at the moment, so I can't check over the errors myself. However, as mentioned I have just signed up to Feedbooks, which also offers an EPUB version. Hopefully the formatting there will be fine, as the conversion process was different. Try that, and let me know if it proves problematic.

Here's a link to the Living History page on Feedbooks:

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/7088

Reyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #36
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Well, I went over and had a look. The process involved a certain amount of faffing about, but once I got the hang of it it was pretty simple- so I put Living History up, and I guess I'm now officially a Feedbooks patron.
Glad that you have it up on Feedbooks too.
One suggestion though: it seems that you're adding either white spaces or tabs at the beginning of your paragraphs. I would recommend removing them: it should be up to the user/reading system to decide if they'd like some extra indenting.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've got the epub version from feedbooks. i'm really looking forward to reading it ! thanks reyben !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #38
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i've got the epub version from feedbooks. i'm really looking forward to reading it ! thanks reyben !
Always good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Glad that you have it up on Feedbooks too.
One suggestion though: it seems that you're adding either white spaces or tabs at the beginning of your paragraphs. I would recommend removing them: it should be up to the user/reading system to decide if they'd like some extra indenting.
Uh, not to sound difficult but I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'adding' white spaces at the beginning of each paragraph... aren't the five white spaces the thing that denotes that a new paragraph is being started in the first place?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Always good to hear!

Quote:
Uh, not to sound difficult but I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'adding' white spaces at the beginning of each paragraph... aren't the five white spaces the thing that denotes that a new paragraph is being started in the first place?
actually, the text indent at the start of a new paragraph is defined in the css (style sheet). no need to add extra spaces manually. the css can be modified by the user depending on their personal preferences ; some like an indent (of varying sizes) and no space between paragraphs, some prefer no indent and a blank line between paragraphs, etc.

if the indent is added automatically by the css, adding extra white spaces manually will make a HUGE indent, instead of a normal one, because the white spaces will be added on top of the regular indent.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Erm, I have no idea. I'd guess that it's a formatting error caused by something in the Smashwords conversion process, but I can't be sure. I don't have EPUB at the moment, so I can't check over the errors myself. However, as mentioned I have just signed up to Feedbooks, which also offers an EPUB version. Hopefully the formatting there will be fine, as the conversion process was different. Try that, and let me know if it proves problematic.

Here's a link to the Living History page on Feedbooks:

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/7088

It definitely looks better from Feedbooks. Even the cover looks better. This is using ADE for Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #41
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Reyben,.

I enjoyed following the adventures of the characters in the story. The twists and turns kept me from guessing what exactly would happen (which, in turn, kept me "turning the pages".

Thank you for sharing with us. Do you have any more stories coming soon?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #42
Reyben
Connoisseur

Thanks, Dreams- I'm glad you enjoyed. I ought to have some more stories coming out eventually (hopefully on the sooner side of eventually). Don't worry, I'm sure I'll let everyone know when I do.