Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
irulan
irulan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (broken)
OS X Interface

Hi Kovid,

first off, thanks for coding such a great tool, I'm very much impressed with your work. I'm already looking forward to that ePub export support!

As great as the app itself is, as a devoted Mac user I have to say that the GUI is beyond ugly – at least that of the OS X version. I really cannot speak for any other platform, it may look decent there.

However, instead of just complaining about a matter, I just wanted to offer my help in designing a streamlined and "Mac-like" interface for calibre if by chance you are at all interested. Let me know, I'm more than willing to help and possibly there are other Mac users out there who could join me in this.

Thanks,
//irulan
irulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The way calibre is designed is to minimize the amount of platform specific code. That means it uses a cross platform GUI toolkit. So it's never going to look as good as a native OS X app. That said if you have any concrete suggestions, feel free to make them. Most likely they will be things that can only be fixed at The Qt level, but one never knows...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by irulan View Post
As great as the app itself is, as a devoted Mac user I have to say that the GUI is beyond ugly – at least that of the OS X version.
How nice of you to say. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
irulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How nice of you to say. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Of course you are right. I am only speaking for myself, possibly users out there think the GUI is pretty. But then again, I find what open source software lacks the most is usability, which in turn needs attractive user interfaces.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
irulan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That said if you have any concrete suggestions, feel free to make them.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Should I post them here or should I send you an email/pm?
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I prefer email. kovid at kovidgoyal.net
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote