Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Kaylle
Kaylle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Ebookwise
Question Kindle books missing lines of text?

I've been lurking on these boards for over a year now, but today is my first post. And I've come with a problem! Lol. I'm not looking for a solution so much as I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I just bought my Kindle a few weeks ago (hurray for tax rebates), and yesterday I purchased my first book via the Kindle store on the device. (Before that, I had purchased books on my computer or loaded files I already had.) I read the sample first, and noticed some odd formatting issues but decided they weren't enough to dissuade me from buying it.

When I purchased the book itself, the weird formatting issues were still there, but also in places a line of text would be missing from the book!

I work at a school, so today I went to the school library and found a hard copy of the book to compare. Several words-- approximately one line of printed text in the printed copy-- are simply missing from the Kindle version. In one place, the sentence starts in the middle of the word. Also, anyplace where there's a bulleted list, the bullets/line breaks disappear and the whole thing becomes one large indented paragraph. In places other paragraphs are also indented for no apparent reason.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Before the Kindle I had an eBookwise, and I vaguely remember having some issues with Ebookwise Librarian omitting everything between MSWord smartquotes, or anything with a SmartTag attached. That's the closest problem I can think of. If this had been a book I converted myself I would just assume it was something I did, but this is a book that came directly from Amazon, via Whispernet, and it ought to work perfectly.

(The book I in question was All American Girl by Meg Cabot (not high literature, I know, but it's almost summer and my brain needs to detox!). I noticed some of the same formatting issues in the sample for another of her books as well.)
Kaylle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Be sure and feed this information back to Amazon. If it is too bad they will refund your money by the way.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Kaylle
Kaylle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Ebookwise
Thanks. I did send an email to Amazon. And it wasn't like the book was unreadable; I don't need a refund or anything. I'm just curious to see if anyone else is having this problem.
Kaylle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Big Meg Cabot fan here (but that's just between us, 'kay?)

I downloaded the sample you mentioned and I see the formatting errors, too. So it's definitely on their end, not a corrupt download, or something.

I think you have 7 days to get a refund, if you should find that the errors are more pronounced later in the book.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I haven't seen anything like that but I have seen typos and formatting errors before. Books vary in quality. One of my feature requests has been a menu option to flag an error. I don't want a refund for the book necessarily but I want to pass on the information so it can be corrected.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sounds like bad OCR with sloppy proofing.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote