Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The future of bookshelves

If you were a furniture maker would you reduce your product line of bookshelves? And more importantly in a bookshelf free future how are people going to brag about their erudition?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Milkcrates!
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A touchscreen with an embedded Calibre-type program linked to a NAS or similar.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
If you were a furniture maker would you reduce your product line of bookshelves?
Not for a while, not yet. I'm actually looking to buy a new bookshelf to handle some of my overflow that I don't want to relegate to the cardboard boxes in the closets. It won't be new though.

Quote:
And more importantly in a bookshelf free future how are people going to brag about their erudition?
Dinner parties?

That's a good question. I admit to 'showing off' my books, at least somewhat. Not necessarily because of content or literary value, but more so because many of them are high-quality collector items, some of [almost] museum quality.

The shelves in my home office however do not host collectables, or even decorative works; they're full of technical and reference manuals, periodicals, and other works I use[d] mostly in the course of my trade. I could probably get rid of them altogether now as most everything they contain can more readily and reliable be pulled from the internet.

But I won't. Sentimental value.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd keep the bookshelves.

And the hypothesis assumes books will disappear
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sell your bookshelves to the archivists as they start to store the ancient medium of reading called the "book."
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
I'd keep the bookshelves.

And the hypothesis assumes books will disappear
I believe they will go the way of the old vinyl records. First the 78 r.p.m (de luxe coffee table books) will disappear, then the 33 r.p.m album (hard cover) soon to be followed by the EP (trade paper back) and finally the 45 r.p.m single (mass paper back).
You and i won't see it, when our children reaches our age they will talk nostalgically about books, and our grand-children will hold on to heirlooms but they won't find new books. Their children will wonder why the hell old people refer to texts as books.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I believe they will go the way of the old vinyl records. First the 78 r.p.m (de luxe coffee table books) will disappear, then the 33 r.p.m album (hard cover) soon to be followed by the EP (trade paper back) and finally the 45 r.p.m single (mass paper back).
You and i won't see it, when our children reaches our age they will talk nostalgically about books, and our grand-children will hold on to heirlooms but they won't find new books. Their children will wonder why the hell old people refer to texts as books.
What have you got against books? You keep predicting their end but it's quite clear that it's not going to happen... hey, you can still get cuneiform tablets you know, let alone scrolls and runic carvings...

Fiction will move more and more towards the eBook but much non-fiction will require a lot more advances in tech before they are anywhere near a satisfactory substitute for paper... and your analogy is flawed as well in that vinyl is still selling well, maybe a niche but it's a large niche that actually grew over the last year despite the economic downturn...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Their children will wonder why the hell old people refer to texts as books.
I still use the term LP when referring to a CD
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What have you got against books? You keep predicting their end but it's quite clear that it's not going to happen... hey, you can still get cuneiform tablets you know, let alone scrolls and runic carvings...
Paper books are going the way of the dinosaur and buggy whip. The sooner, the better.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I don't think they will go the way of vinyl records. Most people couldn't tell if they were listening to a CD, an MP3 or a good quality vinyl record. Hardcore audiophiles might be able to tell the difference, but for most people, the experience is essentially the same. It's obvious whether you are reading a paper book or an e-book. They offer different experiences and people's preferences differ. I do think that the percentage of the market taken by paper books will decrease, but not to the level that vinyl has.

And to answer your original question, if I owned a company which made book cases, I'd continue making them, because the demand still is high for book cases. And even if we do switch entirely to e-books, people will still buy book cases, they will just put other things on them.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
You act like books are the only things you keep on shelves. In my bedroom I keep everything from photo albums to jewelery boxes in my bookcase. In my media room I have my DVD, Blue-rays and statues. In my livingroom, books, magazines, pictures and anything else I can fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed1 home.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	87060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	87061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Livingroom 01.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	87062  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Bingo! And what about your collection or retro readers? Complete line of K1 to K37.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I believe they will go the way of the old vinyl records. … when our children reach our age they will talk nostalgically about books, and our grand-children will hold on to heirlooms but they won't find new books. Their children will wonder why the hell old people refer to texts as books.
As dad to a 25-year-old sorta hipster who buys loads of vinyl that she plays on a retro turntable, I'd bet more heavily on the kids of the future rediscovering the physical book and applying to old fetishizer to it. First editions will be big. Ditto for illustrated books. And bookcases — lookout! They'll have anti-sag reinforcement and glass doors to better concentrate that old musty smell. The proud owner will open the doors and invite guests to inhale the mold of decades past.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
But the trend now is a return to vinyl.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote