Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Raindrop
wanderer
Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1 and new Pocketbook Pro 622 Touch

Hi!

I've been reading the forum for quite a while now. But the time to buy a reader has come. Probably within 1 or 2 months the purchase will be made. Since i can't play with any reader (don't have it available in stores), i need to read/ask about your experiences.

I live in Portugal, so an "international reader" is required. I have many ebooks bought at Amazon (freebies) and some epubs (books i bought at a portuguese publisher); i've read many threads, downloaded Calibre and visited Apprentice Alf. So the format isn't important to me. Price won't be a dealbreaker (for the 3 models listed on the title), because there's little difference between them (from 5 to 10 euros).

What i am looking for:
  1. A reliable device - I am aware that problems can occur in any machine, but i wonder if they appear more in one device than the others.
  2. Good support - this is linked to the above. It is important because i won't be able to leave it in a store and have it solve things with the repair company for me or have a place to go and make a complaint if necessary. I've read that the Kindle support is very good (since firmware updates to exchange of defective unit); Sony not so much; Pocketbook seemed ok, but would love to hear more about it. Note: didn't like the way Sony handled the first complaints about the T1; too much time to respond.
  3. Reasonably fast processor.
  4. Not too complicated to operate.
  5. Dictionaries - en-en and with the possibility to add more. I don't know if any of the devices has a En-Pt dictionary.
  6. Would prefer a reader with turning page buttons, but if the Kindle proves to be worthy, i'll let it pass.

Some questions:
a) Would i be able to download books from Dropbox with the Pocketbook 622?
b) How stable is the Sony now? Are there issues unadressed by Sony? If so, which?
c) Are there major issues with the Kindle Touch? Does the touch feature work well?
d) for the Pocketbook 622 users: are there problems with the device?

If anyone has tested 2 or even the three readers in my list, please let me know what's your favourite. I tried to read about the PB, but the majority of the info is in german. I used google translator, but couldn't understand much. There are videos in Youtube that helped me but they were russian or ukranian...

Thank's in advance!
Raindrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
  1. A reliable device - I am aware that problems can occur in any machine, but i wonder if they appear more in one device than the others.

The KT and Sony T1 are reliable devices. I don't know a thing about Pocketbook so I cannot speak to them.
  2. Good support - this is linked to the above. It is important because i won't be able to leave it in a store and have it solve things with the repair company for me or have a place to go and make a complaint if necessary. I've read that the Kindle support is very good (since firmware updates to exchange of defective unit); Sony not so much; Pocketbook seemed ok, but would love to hear more about it. Note: didn't like the way Sony handled the first complaints about the T1; too much time to respond.

Amazon regularly ranks as having the best customer support of all of the e-book manufacturers and online stores. They are really anal about Customer Service and that is across the Globe. Sony appears to be hit an miss. Pocketbook is unknown to me.
  3. Reasonably fast processor.

I think you are fine with any of the e-readers
  4. Not too complicated to operate.

I think you are fine with any of the three
  5. Dictionaries - en-en and with the possibility to add more. I don't know if any of the devices has a En-Pt dictionary.

The Kindle does not come with one, I don't know if the Sony or Pocketbook does. I know SOny comes with more dictionaries then the Kindle but I have no clue if they include Portugese (sp sorry)
  6. Would prefer a reader with turning page buttons, but if the Kindle proves to be worthy, i'll let it pass.

Obviously you know the KT does not have page turn buttons, which sucks. The touch screen is suppose to be excellent though.

Some questions:
a) Would i be able to download books from Dropbox with the Pocketbook 622?

No clue

b) How stable is the Sony now? Are there issues unadressed by Sony? If so, which?

It sounds like Sony has addressed most of these issues

c) Are there major issues with the Kindle Touch? Does the touch feature work well?

All reports are that the touch works fine. There are some folks who have had problems but then there were people who had problems with the buttons (accidently hitting them) and the keyboard (accidently typing letters). What am I saying? No device is perfect for everyone and that there are people who are going to have trouble no matter what you do. The vast majority of folks have not had a problem with the Touch Screen.

d) for the Pocketbook 622 users: are there problems with the device?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Raindrop
wanderer
Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Raindrop writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thanks a lot ProfCrash!

Although the T1 was my favourite, i was leaning towards the KT (the good support is a major issue). But then i started reading about the PB Touch and looked a bit like the T1, has TTS in Portuguese and the menus also in PT, the screen is darker, but i don't think there's a big difference. Unfortunately the PB reader isn't widely available. I've read Troll's review in the PB forum, but there were other users in the German forum that have this device. I'd really like to know their points of view.

In the meantime, if a PB owner would share his experience with the Pocketbook support, firmware updates... i'd be really thankfull.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
The Pocketbook Pro 622 Touch has achieved very favorable results in several German tests - taking the top spot jointly with the Sony T1. Apparently using the dictionary isn't as straightforward as it is with the T1. OTOH you can add new dictionaries, which to my knowledge isn't possible with the T1 and which is probably quite important in your case, as Portuguese isn't among the languages covered by the Sony dictionaries (Spanish and Italian are, which may help to some extent). The Pocketbook is the most expensive among the current 6" eInk readers, though. Unfortunately none of my local shops (MediaMarkt, Saturn) stock the 622 (yet). Usually they do stock Pocketbooks therefore I hope that it is going to be available soon as I am quite keen on testing it in store. The design of the Pocketbooks is quite attractive and they don't use shiny material as Sony has foolishly decided to do. Pocketbooks can also handle a huge range of formats, including .prc.

Last edited by CommonReader; 05-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does the Pocketbook have a Pearl screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, it has.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I lose track of which PB models use Pearl and which don't.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Oh, that's easy to remember. It's only the Pocketbook Touch 622 that uses a Pearl screen, all the others don't.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Raindrop
wanderer

Thanks CommonReader! I've read that there has been a delay with the PB 622. Something to do with firmware updates, i believe.

Where i want to buy the reader, the T1 is 149 euros and the PB 622 is 155. It's not a big difference. The Kindle, with the rates of shipping and such, goes to that kind of amount too.

What can you tell me about customer service of Pocketbook?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post
What can you tell me about customer service of Pocketbook?
Look in the Pocketbook forum here at MR. There seem to be quite a few complaints - primarily about non-delivery of promised software features.

One of the biggest benefits of the Kindle is that Amazon's customer service is simply outstanding. No other manufacturer comes close.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
I have a Pocketbook 622 Touch.
It supports a lot of different files. I use it with Calibri on mac and I can download books from my library. mostly they use epub.
there seems to be no dictionary from english to Portuguese but you can get the menues in Portuguese.

Sony is a bigger manufactor so it will be easier to buy a case etc. I had to order one from Hong Kong on ebay.

and unfortunately Pocketbook doesn't support dropbox. i have made two several firmware uppdates after I bought it. have never had any problems with it.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was a little bit fast when I tried to answer your questions.

1. Yes, I find Pocketbook 622 to be very reliable. Have never had any problems with it and it can open almost any file.

2. Have never contacted the support, but it is made in Ukraine so I would contact the seller Green reader in England if I would have any problems.

3. I find the Pocketbook 622 to be a bit slow. Specially when you reflow text in PDF:s. For Epub that I use most that is not a problem. To use the internet it feels like using an old mac from the 80's. Would not recommend it and the most pages doesn't work so well either. Get another kind of device if that is important.

4. I find it easy to use. You have 4 buttons, one home, one back, ome forwars and one for meny. Then it is a touchscreen so you just click on the screen what you would open. The only thing I haven't figured out is how you install new fonts and to get to use them in the books.

5. In the latest firmware update they added support for english to swedish. They have the menues in norweigan and finnish, but not in Swedish. But they are avaible in portuguese.

6. Yes you have buttons to turn page but can also use the screen.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
ragnevi

After the latest firmware update you can access dropbox from the internet browser. But it is slow and you would prefer to use calibre instead. Also install the theme [https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96894&d=1354024775]Crystal[/URL] and you have a device you shouldn't be ashamed off.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I strongly suspect that the original poster doesn't actually want the answers any longer, given that it's 7 months since they asked the question. It's always a good idea to check the date of a post before replying to it.