Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Can Kindle owners add Kindle editions to their wishlists?

I have ordered my Kindle but not received it yet. I really would like to add some ebooks to my wishlist. Christmas is coming and people want to know what to get me. I only have a button to buy the book on their site. I can't seem to add it to my wishlist. I'm hoping that feature will be there if I have a registered Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
LwoodY2K
LwoodY2K began at the beginning.

Device: None
No

Right now it looks like none of the downloadable versions of anything can be added to wishlists - all the MP3s and videos have the same thing, so I doubt that buying a kindle will help.

Also, it looks like you can't give downloadable items as gifts now either, so maybe that's why they can't be added to wishlists.
LwoodY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks! That's rather disappointing, though. I wonder why they aren't supporting it.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I had submitted a CS request about this issue and this is the rather unsatisfactory reply I received:
Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing about adding Kindle content to your Amazon.com
wishlist.

Because the purchase and download is associated with your Amazon.com
account, you cannot transfer Kindle purchases from one account to
another user, give them as gifts, or add Kindle items to your
wishlist. However, you can purchase Kindle books that interest you
before your Kindle arrives and they will be ready to download as soon
as you receive your Kindle.

It is very important for us to hear about your experience using Kindle
and shopping in the Kindle store and I apologize for any
inconvenience this situation may cause. Strong customer feedback like
yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we
appreciate the time you took to write to us. I've also passed your
feedback along to the Kindle team.

I hope you found this information useful. Of course, we're always
happy to answer your questions. Our goal is to help you get the most
out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please
contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thanks for using Amazon Kindle!
I could see maybe they didn't set up the system to be able to transfer ownership from a buyer with no Kindle to another person especially if the buyer doesn't know the email address I use for my account. However, it makes absolutely no sense to not have wishlist functionality. It is tied to my account. They have my Kindle information so they should be able to tie the book to that PID. Such a non-answer. A bad decision, too, IMO since I'm sure a lot of new Kindle owners would love to load up on new books for Christmas.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Such a non-answer.
Well, it's not really a non-answer. One of the functions of the wish list is so that user X can buy something for user Y by choosing something from user Y's wish list, in much the same way a wedding gift registry works.

The problem is that they've tied purchases directly to the Kindle account, not to a general user account. I don't have a Kindle, so I can't buy Kindle books, even if it's for someone else.

I agree that it probably wasn't a smart move to do it that way, from a customer service aspect, but it's certainly understandable considering their primary design goal of locking the unit down.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I guess you could ask for Amazon gift certificates. But I think this is lame, too-- you should be able to buy a Kindle edition for someone who has a Kindle registered, especially via the Wishlist. I would guess that Amazon will change this, but probably not in time for Christmas this year.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
LwoodY2K
LwoodY2K began at the beginning.

Device: None
You currently can't use amazon gift cards for downloadable things - "Gift Cards cannot be redeemed for purchases of downloadable goods" from the terms and conditions.
LwoodY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
suzyq
suzyq began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
A possible work around

Hi,

I also contacted Amazon about being able to put Kindle editions on my wishlist, and I received the same reply: no can do. But, the way I'm working around this is to send a sample of the book to my Kindle. While this isn't quite as simple as adding the book to a wishlist, at the least it allows me to have a list of the books I'm interested in.
suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
If you go to the Customer Review page associated with a Kindle book there is a button to add that book to your wish list.

If there are no reviews, then no wish list button.

Hope this helps.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd like to be able to use the wishlist to mark and remember Kindle books that I've found interesting while browsing around Amazon, as I do with the current wishlist. I can bookmark them but that gets cumbersome pretty quickly.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'd like to be able to use the wishlist to mark and remember Kindle books that I've found interesting while browsing around Amazon, as I do with the current wishlist. I can bookmark them but that gets cumbersome pretty quickly.
I send myself a sample.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
AlanF
AlanF began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure if I have a software upgrade but I just received my Kindle today Jan 18th (ordered 2 Dec).

When I am browsing the Kindle Store on my Kindle I have the option to SAVE FOR LATER. This is stored on the Kindle and is essentially a personal wish list. Books can be purchased directly from this list. Of course you can't share it with anyone but it does allow you to track books you are thinking of buying.
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hey, that's good to know! [ It's also nice to hear when you ordered, and when it got here ... there are a bunch of us on this list still waiting, and this gives us an idea of how they are doing at fulfilling orders. ]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
jamesorr
jamesorr began at the beginning.

You can't use the wishlist, but once you have the kindle there is a "save for later" option you can use to mark items you want to purchase in the future.

There doesn't appear to be a way to do this on the site itself, only from the kindle.
jamesorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #15
Choisya
Choisya began at the beginning.

I live in the UK but am thinking of getting a US friend of mine to purchase a Kindle for me to get over the warranty issue. If she also purchased Amazon.com e-books with her card would she be able to email them to me for me to download them? Or could she send me Amazon.com gift cards for me to use on their e-book downloads?
Choisya is offline   Reply With Quote