Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: What is minimum and desired (hoped for) logevity you expect from Cybook? (years)
Min 1, Desired 1 0 0%
Min 1, Desired 2 5 9.43%
Min 1, Desired 3-5 11 20.75%
Min 2, Desired 3-5 6 11.32%
Min 2, Desired 5-10 1 1.89%
Min 2, Desired 10+ 0 0%
Min 3, Desired 4-6 7 13.21%
Min 3, Desired 7-10 1 1.89%
Min 3, Desired 10+ 0 0%
Min 5, Desired 6-10 2 3.77%
Min 5, Desired 10+ 1 1.89%
Min 5-10, Desired 15-20 1 1.89%
Min 5-10, Desired 21-30 0 0%
Min 10-20, Desired 40 0 0%
As long as possible, no limits 9 16.98%
Until new better devices (bigger/better screen, colors, etc.) 7 13.21%
Other 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
For how long do you intend to use your Cybook?

Here is a recent exchange:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja
Don't want to change my PDA/reader every 5 years.

Heavens! I consider myself to be doing well if I use the same device for 1 year, let alone 5 .
Meanwhile some people complain about price. Seems to be these are related. I intend to keep using my Cybook well beyond 5 years, in which case this price is not so bad. If like Harry I were to discard it after a single year, then of course it would be far too expensive.

So for how long do you intend to use it? What is the minimum age you expect?
The first value is the minimum age. If it breaks before the minimum then you'd be pissed/angry/...
The second value is the expected/hoped for logevity. If it survives that long you are happy, otherwise it is not big deal.

For myself, min 10, hope for 20
My reason is that I hate moving data, books, etc. between devices. At the moment I am forced to export and/or copy/paste data from my Palm Zire 71 to Cybook simply because I broke the old one trying to replace battery. I'd prefer not to have to move my data again for at least a decade.

P.S.: The 5 years limit is due to the approximate lifespan of Lithium batteries. LiPoly are new, so not sure what their life expectancy is. In any case battery should last anywhere between 5 and 10 years.
P.P.S.: Do you intend to, mind replacing battery on your Cybook to keep using it longer?

Last edited by bob_ninja; 10-30-2007 at 01:48 PM.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is a rather fundamental difference between PDAs and eBook readers. PDAs are now a mature technology. A Pocket PC now does pretty much the same thing a Pocket PC did 3 or 4 years ago, although perhaps in a slightly smaller package.

eInk book readers are still in their infancy. The technology is maturing and improving month by month. There will probably be VERY exciting new devices, with, say, roll-out colour screen available in 2-3 years time. I'm certainly not going to stop myself from enjoying new devices merely through telling myself that I must use my current device for "x" years.

So to answer your question, I don't know how long I'll use my CyBook for; it depends what comes onto the market in the next few years.

I don't discard my old gadgets, BTW; I sell them on eBay; they generally fetch excellent prices there; often 75% of the new price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm curious how the resources balance out, too, not just the expense and convenience. If this thing heads to the electronics recycler in 3-5 years, have I actually been any more or less green than if I stuck with my previous reading habits of buying paper books and occasional trips to the library. How many fewer books would have to be printed, shipped, etc. to make up for one of these devices? I certainly have other reasons for wanting a reader, but this is high on my list.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Good point. One of the main benefits is supposed to be saving trees by NOT having to print massive text books for schools and universities, for instance. They change often anyway.
In fact, this sort of device to me seems to be the missing piece for paperless office. Until now, as soon as you step away from your computer and had to carry some information to a meeting or some place else, you had to print. Laptops are still too big and PDA are too small. This device is just about the right size and more or less replicates paper experience. It should be possible to easily convert your data into PDF or TXT, quickly dump it into the reader and go, without having to print at all.

For instance, I am doing a bunch of reviews of a bunch of documents, most available in PDF. Also I need some reference material, like specs and standards. I need to take them to a meeting and to home. Laptop is too cumbersome and constantly has to be plugged in to recharge. Instead, using this thing I can carry all the docs any place for many days and not even think of battery.

It is interesting that so far many don't expect more than few years from their Cybook. Hmmmm
Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I tend to upgrade my computer as often as I can afford (and my conscience allows). With PDAs it was mostly dissatisfaction that made me sell them and get a different one, same with mobile phones.

E-ink devices have been different so far. My Iliad is a device that mostly does what it is supposed to do (apart from the battery life and slow boot issues) so I see no need to exchange it against anything. The STAReBOOK would be pretty cool if they had not stopped developing it's firmware (actually, I can't even get the old firmware form their website anymore which is not a good sign at all) and I guess the Bookeen device could be really great if they get the software right.

The only reason why I don't believe it's going to last more than those 3-5 years is that it will probably break or the formats that it supports will go out of fashion. It is also possible that somebody will come up with a device that serves as a Computer, Phone, Ereader and PDA all in one small package and without batteries (or with everlasting batteries), with different screen-sizes depending on need (maybe rollout display or something) and all those fancy things they keep promising us will be "coming soon"...but that's always a dream and so far it has not come true...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
This is an interesting discussion. I think it might be a generation thing.

I'm 23. I expect to use my iLiad for a total of 2-3 years, until something better comes along. My last PDA lasted me 2 years, and my last computer 4 (mostly for budget reasons). I think of most electronics as disposable, and certainly don't plan on keeping any kind of portable electronic device for more than 5 years. I suspect older generations feel differently.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm double your age, Adam, and I'm a "gadget addict", so I don't think one can generalise about the "generation" thing .
Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm 26, so I'm roughly in the same group as Adam...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I'm 24. I sold my Sony Reader as soon as I heard that the third generation model was on its way. Since then I'm waiting for more info to decide between the new Reader and the Cybook. When a new eInk screen will come out (next year?) I'll probably sell whichever I'll buy now, and buy the new version.
Still I chose "Min 1, Desired 3-5", because I'm thinking about the one who will buy it from me second hand .
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
bob_ninja
Addict

Interesting.
Doesn't it become very expensive to replace your gadgets every 2-3 years?
What do you get for your older gadgets? 50% of the original price, more, less?
Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I sold mine for about 50% of the price I paid for it, not including shipping. I think I did pretty well. Since if I had waited, the prs-505 would have already come out and I would have had to sell mine at much lower price.
Of course, it is a bit expensive to buy a new reader every year, at least for me , but that's the price for adopting new technology. I expect I will sell the Cybook as well in a year or two. Only when eInk will have mature enough I will consider buying for 'keep'.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
I sold mine for about 50% of the price I paid for it, not including shipping. I think I did pretty well. Since if I had waited, the prs-505 would have already come out and I would have had to sell mine at much lower price.
Of course, it is a bit expensive to buy a new reader every year, at least for me , but that's the price for adopting new technology. I expect I will sell the Cybook as well in a year or two. Only when eInk will have mature enough I will consider buying for 'keep'.
You also did a favor for someone who wanted a reader and either didn't want to or may not have been able to pay full price for it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
Interesting.
Doesn't it become very expensive to replace your gadgets every 2-3 years?
What do you get for your older gadgets? 50% of the original price, more, less?
I enjoy spending money on gadgets; it's fun getting to play with a new toy every few months and I'm happy to spend my money on it.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where's the poll option for I don't have a Gen3, I have a 505?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I enjoy spending money on gadgets; it's fun getting to play with a new toy every few months and I'm happy to spend my money on it.
So when are you getting a 505?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote