Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #7606
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Alan, I have to give you kudos on keeping this thread going, but I'm afraid I'm kind of done with Butcher for now. He seems more interested in playing than writing. I think it'll be one of those series I wait til it's finished before I do any more reading.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:16 AM   #7607
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Alan, I have to give you kudos on keeping this thread going, but I'm afraid I'm kind of done with Butcher for now. He seems more interested in playing than writing. I think it'll be one of those series I wait til it's finished before I do any more reading.
I'll second FizzyWater's opinion.
You have been doing a mammoth job keeping this thread alive, Alan. Jim is certainly busy in other 'important' activities rather pulling the next book out.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #7608
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Quickie Review - Aeronaut's Windlass

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-21-2017 at 05:15 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #7609
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
You have been doing a mammoth job keeping this thread alive, Alan. Jim is certainly busy in other 'important' activities rather pulling the next book out.

............THANKS!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #7610
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Its just not Butcher though so many of the what I feel are the better authors in fantasy/urban fantasy genre are missing in action. Rothfuss, Lynch, Rob Thurman are just the few that were supposed to have a book out in 16.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #7611
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Its just not Butcher though so many of the what I feel are the better authors in fantasy/urban fantasy genre are missing in action. Rothfuss, Lynch, Rob Thurman are just the few that were supposed to have a book out in 16.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Agreed. All in all, 2016 had been a gloomy year for the fantasy/urban fantasy genre. We should hope a better scenario in 2017.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #7612
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some quotes from COLD CASE . . .

I just began reading the short story Cold Case from the new Urban Fantasy anthology by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes. It is a story about Molly's first mission for Mab. The following quote (from Molly's thought stream) really tickled me:

....."That’s right, pretty boys. Mess with me, I’ll hit you so hard your children will be born bruised."

And another:

....."I took a sip of the beer, some kind of Russian monstrosity that tasted as if it had been brewed from Stalin’s sweat and escaped a Soviet gulag."

And a couple of interchanges with Warden Ramirez:

.....Carlos said. “Can you tell if the kids were with them?”
.....“Dammit, man. I’m a Faerie Princess, not a forensic analyst.”

....."Have you heard of the Old Ones?”
.....“I don’t think it’s a very kind nickname for the Rolling Stones."

And then there was this:

Harry would have used fire. And I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have pulled out a wand and prepared the One-Woman Rave spell I’d developed. And I’m absolutely certain that he wouldn’t have taken a moment to start up DJ Molly C’s Boom Box spell, which would play C&C Music Factory’s “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)” loud enough to be heard in Anchorage.

But I did. I wanted loud noise that was totally out of place and as weird as possible to whatever supernatural critters were riding around inside the fishermen—and the creatures of the supernatural world aren’t exactly pop-culture mavens. Plus, it was dance music from the ’90s. Nobody thinks that stuff is normal.

Heavy bass and lead power chords started thumping against the windows. I turned loose the One-Woman Rave, and the air around me filled with a light and pyrotechnics show that would make Burning Man look like Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. My heart started pounding in fear and excitement and something disturbingly like lust as I crossed the last few feet to the cathedral’s entrance.

And then, just as the song screamed, “Everybody dance now!” I leaned back, drew the power of Winter into my body, and kicked the big double doors off their hinges as if they’d been made of balsa and Scotch tape.

At which point I learned the real reason Harry keeps doing that.
It. Is. Awesome.

“Give me the music!” I screamed with the song, and walked straight in. I might have had some hip and shoulder action going in time with the beat.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-22-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #7613
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some quotes from DAY ONE . . .

The very first line of the Jim Butcher short story, Day One, that was included in the new anthology Unfettered II: New Tales By Masters of Fantasy by Shawn Speakman made me laugh out loud:

.....My name is Waldo Butters, and I am a Jedi Knight, like my father before me.

As did this interchange between Butters and Michael:

.....“Tell me what you see.”
.....“That homeless guy on the bench?” I asked.
.....“Yes.”
.....I took a breath and said, “There’s a big yellow exclamation point floating over his head.” After a brief pause I added, “I’m not crazy. My mother had me tested.”

And also this interchange:

.....The Call comes from higher up.”
.....“What?” I asked. “You mean like . . . God? God speaks video game?”
.....“When the Almighty speaks to men, He always does it in voices they can understand,” Michael said.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #7614
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
"I took a sip of the beer, some kind of Russian monstrosity that tasted as if it had been brewed from Stalin’s sweat and escaped a Soviet gulag."

Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #7615
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, the FAQ on his site was updated January 17th... Aparently he is still writing Peace Talks. So even if he would finish this month, it will take at least 6 months before it is published. The short story 'A Fistful of Warlocks' will be published in July, but that was already known I believe.
I am beginning to suspect that he either has a writers block or that the story is proving to difficult to put to paper... Sigh...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #7616
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Can anyone identify all 4 of these faces?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #7617
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Jim, ?, ?, Priscilla Spencer

At first I thought the bald guy was PAtrick Rothfuss, but the beard is too short and he is not bald as far as I know.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #7618
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Aeronaut's Windlass.Audio Book Review Classically Trained nerds

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-26-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #7619
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Aeronaut's Windlass | Book 1 of the Cinder Spires by Jim Butcher | Summary & Revi

The Aeronaut's Windlass | Book 1 of the Cinder Spires by Jim Butcher | Summary & Review
MathomBooks

Published on Mar 21, 2016

Jim Butcher has a great new fantasy steam punk series out called The Cinder Spires; book one is The Aeronaut's Windlass! In this video, Jeremy and Tezi summarize and review the book for you, dear viewer!

Jim Butcher is famous for The Dresden Files books, as well as the fantasy series Codex Alera - be sure to check out his work!

Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #7620
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool My guesses . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Jim, ?, ?, Priscilla Spencer

At first I thought the bald guy was PAtrick Rothfuss, but the beard is too short and he is not bald as far as I know.
My guesses:

Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs? or Charlene Harris? or Rachel Caine? or Melissa McCarthy?, Kevin Hearne, Priscilla Spencer

Last edited by alansplace; 01-28-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy