Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
postrof
postrof began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
RAR extension

Someone just gave me an ebook with the extension RAR but my ebook reader won't view it. What is the extension *.RAR and what to do?
I want to read this book!
postrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrof View Post
Someone just gave me an ebook with the extension RAR but my ebook reader won't view it. What is the extension *.RAR and what to do?
I want to read this book!
RAR is like a zip file, but a different format. Google WinRAR or 7-zip for a program to decompress it.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I use the FreeRar Extract Frog program. Very easy to use & does the job.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, there's two possibilities here.

1) The ebook is packed inside the rar file, which means you'll need to extract it first. If so, I'd go with sleepy bob's recommendation of either WinRar or 7-zip to unpack it.

2) They packed an epub using rar instead of zip like they're supposed to. If that's true, unpack it (using the tools recommended in #1), repack as zip, then rename the extension to epub.

For now I'd just assume #1, and if that turns out to be wrong, go with #2.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
You can also put it in Calibre and convert it to whatever format your reader uses--it'll unzip it in the process. Then hook up your device and use Calibre to transfer to your reader and you're all set! Calibre is a fantastic library manager; here's the link to see what it can do and download it. There's also a forum here that can answer any of your questions.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert