Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Daring Fireball: iBooks an App Store Download

http://xn--df-oiy.ws/elc

Quote:
Apple didn’t emphasize this heavily at the introduction, but the iBooks app is not going to be bundled with the iPad — it’s an app you download from the App Store, putting it on an (at least somewhat) equal footing to e-book readers from other companies. From the “Features” page in Apple’s iPad web site:

The iBooks app is a great new way to read and buy books. Download the free app from the App Store and buy everything from classics to best sellers from the built-in iBookstore.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
That is disappointing (I think).... Does that mean iBooks is not available for international buyers?
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I can't find the quote, but I believe Jobs said that iBooks would only be available in the US at the time of launch.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I can't find the quote, but I believe Jobs said that iBooks would only be available in the US at the time of launch.
Yes, I heard that too, but didn't worry about it because I thought that the APP being pre-loaded on the iPad, meant that the books would become available later to international buyers. This changes things a bit...
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Well nothing says the Book app isn't available for download outside the US. And there are alternatives like Stanza, Kindle, etc. Apple is probably still negotiating with publishers for licensing outside of the US, not to mention foreign publishing companies, just as they have to do with music and video. Remember, this is a whole new territory for Apple, don't expect everything available everywhere on day one.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I expect Apple to follow their iTunes model, with a separate store with different offerings and prices for each country. They will start with the US.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I think that's great news as it is more proof that Apple won't be bullying out competing eBook apps. I also don't believe this will have any impact on the introduction of iBooks in non-US countries: when the books are ready, the app will be available as well. Besides, I have an US account (thank you eBay!) so maybe I will be able to buy books at US launch anyway.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote