Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #256
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
So, Epub is not an ebook format, it's a zipped HTML container.
I think PeterT was saying that calling PDB an ebook format would be like calling ZIP an ebook format. Yes, a lot of ebook formats use ZIP and some ebook readers can read (properly structured) ZIP files. But ZIP itself is much more generic.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #257
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No Ken; the point ius that a PDB can contain MANY MANY types of information; In the Palm world a PDB was a generic extension. The fact that many eBooks of that era were stored in PDBs does NOT make PDB an eBook format. That is what I am saying.

I could easilh send you a PDB that koreader would not be able to open.
And according to Kobo's content processing, I could send you plenty of EPUBs that the Kobo software won't open. Those of us with thousands of .pdb files that contain books, obtained most of them for their PDAs. Some of them came as "Secure eReader" files from Fictionwise or eReader.com.

Yes, technically .pdb files are Palm DataBase files, but practically the file type has made a place for itself as a format that you can find ebooks in.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #258
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
And according to Kobo's content processing, I could send you plenty of EPUBs that the Kobo software won't open. Those of us with thousands of .pdb files that contain books, obtained most of them for their PDAs. Some of them came as "Secure eReader" files from Fictionwise or eReader.com.

Yes, technically .pdb files are Palm DataBase files, but practically the file type has made a place for itself as a format that you can find ebooks in.

Luck;
Ken
And the odds are that those supposed ePubs would fail validation by tools designed to check ePubs.

Why the blazes do you have to be so antagonistic. All I was doing was attempting to educate people that PDB is NOT an actual eBook format.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #259
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
And the odds are that those supposed ePubs would fail validation by tools designed to check ePubs.

Why the blazes do you have to be so antagonistic. All I was doing was attempting to educate people that PDB is NOT an actual eBook format.
I can't gage the odds of any particular epub passing the tests of any particular testing program, but I do know that whatever flaws they may have my other readers and reading programs have no trouble allowing me to read the books contained in the files. I don't consider Kobo's inability to read them as anything but poor error handling, for you to say that the files aren't good enough for kobo to be able to read them, while they can be read by other readers, smacks more of intolerance than of discernment.

Ok, lets say you have established that PDB is not an actual eBook format, what are the people you have so "educated" expected to do with that information? Are they supposed to believe that they should not buy or otherwise obtain an ebook file with the .pdb extension? Should they take you at your word and not expect there to be a viable ebook in such a file?
Or, as I suspect is your intent, are they to hold it as no short coming that the Kobo readers can't read ebooks from .pdb files? Where as the Koreader can.

If not taking your comment at face value, and disagreeing with what it implies makes me "antagonistic", so be it.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #260
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

While you can find epubs that will not process on the Kobo, can you find me even one epub that will not process on a Kobo AND will pass epub validation by FlightCrew and epubcheck? Inquiring minds are eager to know.

On another hand, I have quite a few .pdb files from the days when I owned a PalmPilot that are valid .pdbs but are not ebooks.

Quote:
I can't gage the odds of any particular epub passing the tests of any particular testing program, but I do know that whatever flaws they may have my other readers and reading programs have no trouble allowing me to read the books contained in the files. I don't consider Kobo's inability to read them as anything but poor error handling, for you to say that the files aren't good enough for kobo to be able to read them, while they can be read by other readers, smacks more of intolerance than of discernment.
I have found quite a few ebooks that my Kobo will not handle. I also found some of those files give me issues opening them with ADE, CoolReader and Calibre on my PCs, iBooks and the Kobo app on an iDevice and using a Nook ereader. Given that in most cases, a Kobo ereader does a more intensive scan through the file to generate the database entries, I am not surprised that they are more sensitive to poorly constructed epubs than are most devices/applications.

So these troublesome epubs of yours ... have you tried running FlightCrew or epubcheck on them before blaming Kobo? You have noticed that several sites such as SmashWords require your epub to pass epubcheck before they are accepted?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-14-2013 at 02:50 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #261
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
The appreciation is nice, but giorgio130 and cgm999 and xor_ are the ones doing the hard work here so the biggest thank-you of all really ought to go to them! (My apologies if I missed a few of the heavy lifters here. The blame is mine for not following this thread more carefully.)
of course!!!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #262
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Sometimes (2 out of 10) when I try to bring up the lower menu in the reader, it crashes back to the filemanager. When koreader_kobo.sh is executed from the terminal it says 'segmentation fault' and because of cgm999 while-do-done loop, reader.lua restarts.

Do others experience this too? Could this be because I've combined cgm999 mods with koreader version 273? Or does nobody experience this and do I just have to recopy all the files to the Kobo?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #263
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
What I did to get the dictionary working was:
Thanks for the instructions. I followed them, but how do I actually use the dictionary?

In koreader I have an epub open, and I click, double click, long hold on a word, but nothing happens. I don't see any reference to a dictionary in the top or bottom menus.
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #264
muness
muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.muness beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Aura HD, Story HD, Sony PRS-350 (previous: Kindle Keyboard, PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Sometimes (2 out of 10) when I try to bring up the lower menu in the reader, it crashes back to the filemanager. When koreader_kobo.sh is executed from the terminal it says 'segmentation fault' and because of cgm999 while-do-done loop, reader.lua restarts.

Do others experience this too? Could this be because I've combined cgm999 mods with koreader version 273? Or does nobody experience this and do I just have to recopy all the files to the Kobo?
I don't remember experiencing such a crash.
muness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #265
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
Hello,

I had this crashes also and untill I can figure why it happens, I've found that this temp workaround lowers the freq of crashes
Edit koreader_kobo.sh and before the reader.lua put this 2 lines:

exec 3<&-
ulimit -HSs unlimited

while :; do
LD_PRELOAD=/root/screenInv.so ./reader.lua /mnt/onboard
sleep 1
done
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #266
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

@muness
1) Try opening a pdf-file. I use a scanned book with text underneath made in ABBYY Finereader. Epub doesn't work for me, too. (But in all fairness, I can easily switch to Nickel for that.) Only pictures of text in a pdf works, too.
2) Hold a word until it becomes white text on a black background. Let go and the dictionary entry should pop-up with as title the dictionary used, instead of the word entry.

Typical error: A horizontal bar effectively highlighting an entire sentence. Sometimes it is even two sentences down from where you pressed.
Work-around: Enable reflow.

--->>Sometimes I somehow am able to select multiple words. A pop-up menu tells me I can highlight or note(greyed out) and 2 other options, I forgot. Anybody knows how to reach that menu at will?<<---

Last edited by Markismus; 07-15-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Extra question
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #267
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm999 View Post
Hello,

I had this crashes also and untill I can figure why it happens, I've found that this temp workaround lowers the freq of crashes
Edit koreader_kobo.sh and before the reader.lua put this 2 lines:

exec 3<&-
ulimit -HSs unlimited

while :; do
LD_PRELOAD=/root/screenInv.so ./reader.lua /mnt/onboard
sleep 1
done
Now it hangs.
When I run "top" it gives: segmentation fault.
reboot.

I didn't get any crashes to Filemanager from the lower menu, though. The hangups are either from setting "Word Gap" to large (although sometimes it recovers after very long.) or from selecting a word for the dictionary.

Strangely enough these hangups seem random. Everything works like a charm after this last reboot. Rather unstable app we're running. I've reenabled the crash.log, hopefully it gives me some more info.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #268
Markismus
Guru

I've used:
LD_PRELOAD=/root/screenInv.so ./reader.lua /mnt/onboard 2> crash.log

But crash.log remains 0 bytes!! Even when my Aura hang voor 3 hours at least. Should there not at least be info like "OCR Tesselation loaded", etc. messages in it, which you get in the shell when you ran koreader_kobo.sh from there?

(After I plugged in the USB and it rebooted spontaneously, I read for hours without problems a pdf-file in landscape with dictionary in German ).

Last edited by Markismus; 07-16-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #269
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Try:

Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/root/screenInv.so ./reader.lua /mnt/onboard > crash.log 2>&1
It won't give much more information, but sometimes it's enough to drop a vital hint.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #270
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
You're missing a -d flag to get debug info, it should be reader.lua -d etc
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote