Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 03-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Praise to iSilo--CIA World Fact Book--iSilo beats the competition!

Happened to fetch the 2007 version of the CIA World Fact Book. Decided to get it in two flavors this time, especially as I noticed an iSilo version.

So, ereader vs. iSilo on CIA? iSilo wins by a mile! The opening and moving around are nearly instantaneous whereas with ereader one waits, and waits... and, yes, you got it--WAITS! Finally a page will open.

I think a few years back I had an Adobe Reader version, which was also sluggish-- but did have the ability to magnify the maps.

I've also used iSilo to create Palm versions of large web sites--e.g., astronomical sites about the Messier objects-- and it works like a charm. You can set up navigation bookmarks and the jumping from here to there is immediate.

So, given that we're often posting questions or complaints or suggestions (me included!), I thought it was time to simply offer some praise, pure and unadulterated, praise! Way to go, iSilo!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I wish Darren came out with an iSilo for Sony Reader edition. That would totally make my day
Advert
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson
So, ereader vs. iSilo on CIA? iSilo wins by a mile! The opening and moving around are nearly instantaneous whereas with ereader one waits, and waits... and, yes, you got it--WAITS!

So, given that we're often posting questions or complaints or suggestions (me included!), I thought it was time to simply offer some praise, pure and unadulterated, praise! Way to go, iSilo!
iSilo is a much better program for reference material than eReader. I have both on my T3 (along with uBook and Mobipoocket too!), using eReader primarily for books (literature) and iSilo for reference as well as literature. It's so much easier to move about within an iSilo document versus eReader, as one is often apt to do when consulting a reference. I also feel that iSilo does a superior job of handling graphics (maps, photos, illustrations etc.) than eReader does.

Conversely, I think that eReader's autoscroll operates in a much smoother, more unobtrusive fashion than iSilo's. I also think it's much easier to bookmark (and unbookmark) pages in eReader. Both of these attributes seem more important for literature than for references...

--ryan