Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
I cannot log onto my KT with any username or password

Previously on firmware 5.3.7, I can log onto my kindle using ssh with any password. I don't know why. Both "root" and "framework" worked that way.
A few days ago, I updated firmware of KT to the latest 5.3.7.3 and got it jailbroken and added extensions to KUAL. Now I cannot access my Kindle with any combination of username and password, either via USB cable or over WIFI.
Even when I used "framework" and "mario", it showed "Access Denied" on WinSCP.
Can I have any help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0060lm7Tly1fmby6qfar4j30qw0dhq5o.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	160668

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Oversized image attached & thumbnailed
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You overwrote the /etc/password file with the update, whatever you set is now gone.

1) No password is required over USB (if using the default dropbear server).
If you changed the server from dropbear to sshd in the configuration file, put it back.
After checking that and fixing it if required, if you still can't log on (using ssh) over USB, then you are doing something else wrong.

2) TelNet never requires a password, you should be able to log in over the USB cable with telnet regardless of any changes to /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow.

Once you get access to the device, put back whatever change you where using to /etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow.
OR
This time, follow the directions to setup public key authentication (which keeps your auth. in visible USB storage, where updates will not overwrite it).

The 'main' system has had root logins disabled forever, even before your 5.3.7
Only the 'diag' system allows root logins the way you are trying to use them.

Last edited by knc1; 12-10-2017 at 08:38 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

#deleted
Old 12-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
johnleo
Enthusiast

Tried both and still cannot get access to it.

Here's the message I got when connecting using Telnet.

Quote:
Welcome to Kindle!

#################################################
# E R R O R * E R R O R * E R R O R #
# x.conf failed to start. Reboot limit reached
# REBOOTS=2, REBOOT_LIMIT=1
# To log into the device, remove files:
# /var/local/upstart/x.restarts
# /var/run/upstart/x.restarts
[root@kindle root]#
What did I do? I must have done a lot of things not knowing what they would cause.
I haven't used my Kindle for quite a long time, so I cannot remember what I did back then.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
- - - -
I haven't used my Kindle for quite a long time, so I cannot remember what I did back then.
And we are supposed to remember what you did?

So enable the booting to the diags system and then do what the message tells you to do.

or

Let the Kindle do it for you:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=223067
Then re-apply the jail break and any other add-ins that you want to use.

or

Use Kubrick on it.

(try these things in the order suggested)

Last edited by knc1; 12-11-2017 at 07:56 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert