Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #916
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks

Out of curiosity, are you, (or anyone else), aware if it's being worked on?
I've no idea, really. But it sounds to me that even if DRM wasn't an issue, KFX makes a much better destination format than it does a source format.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #917
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've no idea, really. But it sounds to me that even if DRM wasn't an issue, KFX makes a much better destination format than it does a source format.
Doesn't that apply to all the Amazon formats? (Maybe to differing degrees.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #918
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Handling KFX files in Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Out of curiosity, are you, (or anyone else), aware if it's being worked on?
Progress has been made on KFX DRM removal. A DRM removal algorithm has been developed, but it has not yet been integrated onto the commonly used DRM tools. I assume this is due to lack of interest since KFX is easily avoided at present.

You can read more in the KFX Format thread starting here.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #919
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Doesn't that apply to all the Amazon formats? (Maybe to differing degrees.)
Not really, no. With KF8 is relatively easy to get back to something very, very near to the original source (which in turn can be converted with no--or very, very little--change). Same with the original MOBI. Print Replica is merely a wrapper around a PDF. With KFX, there is no clear path back, the way I understand it. KFX is already partially rendered (from the original) for the specific device/app it's being downloaded for. It just won't make as good an archival format as EPUB or KF8 does. Without the KFX rendering engine, it's fairly pointless as an ebook format.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:58 AM   #920
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Progress has been made on KFX DRM removal. A DRM removal algorithm has been developed, but it has not yet been integrated onto the commonly used DRM tools. I assume this is due to lack of interest since KFX is easily avoided at present.

You can read more in the KFX Format thread starting here.
It seems the DRM problem has been solved. DRM can now be removed from a kfx file, which leaves an unencrypted kfx file. There is no current software to convert this unencrypted kfx file to other formats nor to read other than on suitable Amazon software or devices. The most attractive approach to this would seem to be through a kfx calibre input plugin. Kovid has indicated, very sensibly, that he has no current interest in writing one, because kfx is a terrible input format and kf8's, which are much better, are still readily available. If Amazon does start making a lot of ebooks available as kfx only, he estimates that it would be the work of one to two weeks to write such a kfx input plugin.

So for kfx to be fully supported in Calibre work needs to be done by the Apprentices on integrating the new drm removal software into the tools and specifically the plugin for Calibre, and by Kovid or other Calibre Developers on a kfx input plugin. Progress on either is not a priority whilst kf8 files are still readily available. If you want to read further look at the kfx thread linked to by jhowell earlier which in turn links to discussion on Apprentice Harper's blog.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #921
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
It seems the DRM problem has been solved. DRM can now be removed from a kfx file, which leaves an unencrypted kfx file.
Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken. Encryption can be removed from a DRM-free KFX file; DRM cannot be removed from a DRM-protected KFX file. (Or that, at least, is my understanding).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:53 AM   #922
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, I believe you're mistaken. Encryption can be removed from a DRM-free KFX file; DRM cannot be removed from a DRM-protected KFX file. (Or that, at least, is my understanding).
The code is now available to remove DRM from any KFX file downloaded using the latest Kindle for PC.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:03 AM   #923
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The code is now available to remove DRM from any KFX file downloaded using the latest Kindle for PC.
Thank you - I'm very happy to be mistaken about that .
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 AM   #924
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you - I'm very happy to be mistaken about that .
I was also mistaken about it in exactly the same respect on the kfx thread. I've never been more delighted to be corrected.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #925
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
But since kfx cannot be converted into a more universal format and cannot even be input into calibre, kfx must still be avoided by many of us. As long as Amazon can provide the ebooks in another format, when downloading to the older version of Kindle4PC, I can buy books from them, again. If they go the route of only offering KFX formatted books, then I won't be able to buy their books, again.

In this case, being able to remove the DRM isn't enough to make the files downloaded, to the latest Kindle4PC, of any use to me.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-27-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #926
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Cool... so, it's also possible, in time, to convert KFX to EPUB, I hope.

Sometimes I wish I knew more about cryptography so I could try to work on stuff like this myself, but I just don't have the knowledge and education (nor the math skills often required for cryptography). I'm 'just' a software engineer creating embedded software...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #927
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Cool... so, it's also possible, in time, to convert KFX to EPUB, I hope.
Yes, once someone writes a converter. But bear in mind that KFX is 'half-compiled', so it'll be a rather strange ePub one gets out of it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #928
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Yes, once someone writes a converter. But bear in mind that KFX is 'half-compiled', so it'll be a rather strange ePub one gets out of it.
As long as the EPUB contains all the parts of the book, and uses sensible CSS for stuff such as the chapter headings and body text, it'll probably be fine with me.

Feedbooks uses a header that has a huge chapter number, and small text, in a box with a border. The Kindle doesn't display this correctly. It messes it all up. When I read one of their books, I just remove the chapter heading CSS, and replace it to just use a larger font in bold.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #929
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
As long as the EPUB contains all the parts of the book, and uses sensible CSS for stuff such as the chapter headings and body text, it'll probably be fine with me.
I did some work on conversion of KFX to EPUB last year. You can see an example of the sort of result you can expect in this post.

I have tinkered with this on and off since then. If a need for conversion from KFX becomes necessary then I will revisit that effort and turn it into a calibre plugin.

Conversion from EPUB to KFX and back to EPUB loses some information, such as the exact html tags and classes used, but does preserve the visible content of the original book with only minor formatting changes. The unpacked contents of KF8 format is far closer the original EPUB, but using KFX as a conversion source would be better than nothing if KF8 becomes more difficult to obtain.

Added: Resolution and color of images in KFX books is tailored to different platforms. The results will depend on the device from which the KFX book is taken. Kindle for PC will yield better e-book images than an e-ink Kindle.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-28-2017 at 02:36 PM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:38 AM   #930
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just to note that I've moved the discussion of how best to handle KFX files in Calibre to a separate thread in the Calibre forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290828