Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
leeway63
Bad Samaritan
leeway63 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Smile Advice needed

Hope I'm posting this in the right area, and I apologize if not, but there are so many forum threads here, it would take me weeks to catch up and I'm new, and unfortunately without a lot of spare time right now.

Got the color nook for christmas, and its really a nice product. It honestly is great. Except for a couple things... my eyes.

After reading for an extended period of time, I'm having real problems with my eyes.

Probably read 400 pages out of The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith last night and the type of lighting used isn't going to work for me. I'll have to go to the basic paper type reader.

There are a couple of criteria though that I didn't know I needed until I got to playing around with this color nook.

I need great battery life, and I don't want to be tied down to one particular book provider. Also must have epub format.

Will be interested to know opinions on this topic.
leeway63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Nook Classic would be my choice.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
You should check out/post in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

I recently got a Kindle and I love it. It doesn't do epub, but there are programs like Calibre that will convert your epub books to a format that the Kindle can read. I really suggest you go to a Best Buy and have a look. They have several different kinds of e-readers on display including the Nook and the Kindle. If you like the Nook Color, the regular Nook make be your best bet.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My Libra Pro from Aluratek gets 24 hours on one charge, does epub as well and costs approximatly $90, but you give up a few things to get that price. The Jet Book gets approximatly the same battery length and reads just about any format you can throw at it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
leeway63
Bad Samaritan

Well if its true that Amazon has 1.8 million books available free, then maybe it isn't that big of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
You should check out/post in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

I recently got a Kindle and I love it. It doesn't do epub, but there are programs like Calibre that will convert your epub books to a format that the Kindle can read. I really suggest you go to a Best Buy and have a look. They have several different kinds of e-readers on display including the Nook and the Kindle. If you like the Nook Color, the regular Nook make be your best bet.
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
leeway63
Bad Samaritan

They seem to be identical readers. Would be like trying to decide between a Honda Passport or an Isuzu Rodeo. I really like both of those readers, but neither has 3G. The casing is identical down to the finest detail. They are both very good. That is apparent from all I've read. Thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My Libra Pro from Aluratek gets 24 hours on one charge, does epub as well and costs approximatly $90, but you give up a few things to get that price. The Jet Book gets approximatly the same battery length and reads just about any format you can throw at it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
leeway63
Bad Samaritan

Your right, that is what I'm really thinking about right now. Actually fun to have this many options, so I'm not complaining either.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
leeway63
Bad Samaritan

[QUOTE=Shack70;1299805]You should check out/post in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

I recently got a Kindle and I love it. It doesn't do epub, but there are programs like Calibre that will convert your epub books to a format that the Kindle can read. I really suggest you go to a Best Buy and have a look. They have several different kinds of e-readers on display including the Nook and the Kindle. If you like the Nook Color, the regular Nook make be your best bet.[/QUOTE

I'm really interested in the kindle as well.

The main reason, I'm avoiding it is that I support bookstores. They are dwindling because the profit margin is slim, and I like Amazon. Honestly do like Amazon. But, the day that I can't find a bookstore to browse, is the day I'm going to blame myself.

This is something I have to take serious, as I don't think there are a great deal of others even considering the possibility of losing bookstores altogether.

Last edited by leeway63; 12-29-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
They are almost identical except for two things: the Jet Book reads more formats then the Libra Pro does; and the price, the Jet book is $100 and the Libra pro is $90.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You know that you can change the background color and decrease the brightness?
I am using the grey background with brightness almost completely down.
I find that this reads just as nice as my Nook Classic. I have not used my Nook Classic since I received my Nook Color some 4 weeks ago.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
When I bought my nook, I was looking for something to read pdb and epub files. I'm happy with my choice.

If you know how to and are willing to strip DRM from ebooks - format shouldn't matter. If you don't then you have to decide where you will shop.

If you buy kindle books from Amazon, those books can only be read on a kindle or kindle app. If you buy nook books from B&N, those books can only be read on a nook or nook app. If you buy books from other stores in epub, they can be read on many different devices and you need to decide which one works for you.

I would recommend a nook because that's my preference.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Highly recommend the Pearl generation of E-ink, as on the latest Kindles and Sonys. My eyestrain is awfully close to most of my paper books (which are not always printed well either!).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeway63 View Post
Well if its true that Amazon has 1.8 million books available free, then maybe it isn't that big of an issue.
those are public domain books that you can pretty much find anywhere for free.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yup, the public domain books are free across the net. Look here first, they are very well formated and proof read by the folks at this site.

Amazon does have the largest e-bookstore. If you live in the US you are likely to find what you want to read on Amazon. The best way to start to narrow down your e-reader choices is to check the bookstores and see which one sells the books you want.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeway63 View Post
I really like both of those readers, but neither has 3G.
If 3G is a must, I believe you only have two choices ... Nook or Kindle.

I could be wrong, but I think these are the only ones.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote