Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
CeliaMarie
CeliaMarie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello and help!?

Hello! I'm a traditional, print designer trying to educate myself a little in the frightening world of ebook publishing, with a gimpy old apple computer and a new iphone in my toolbox.

I'm working towards prepping an ebook for publishing through BookBaby. They require EPUB file format. My 7 year old computer doesn't support or recognize this file type. I purchased a simple app ("The File Converter") for my iphone that converts files from pdf to epub, and my initial test for the book interior look ok. However I'm at a loss for how to get a cover image. When I import the book to ibook on my phone it just has one of those generic ebook covers with the title on it. I want to customize this image. How do I do that? Do I need to buy a more sophisticated app or...?

Help help help and thanks so much!
Cheers,
Celia
Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Welcome to MobileRead.

You may want to take a look at our Workshop subforum, where many ebook makers (including a number professionals) hang out to discuss the trade.

as well as calibre which has a forum here and contains many helpful tools for ebooks. Including an editor, and inserting metadata like covers.

Also the standalone editor Sigil.

Regarding the EPUB format: most computers don't recognize or support them, until you install one of the above tools or others (Adobe InDesign and iAuthor spring to mind).

Word of advice. If you have the original format for the book -- say, a Word document -- you will save yourself endless trouble. PDF doesn't convert well to anything, for numerous reasons discussed extensively in the workshop and elsewhere.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-14-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is the Introduce Yourself forum.

Please address any questions you may have to the correct forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Closed Thread

Tags
cover image, epub, file conversion, iphone