Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
richstant
richstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No cover images with AZW3

Hi, I'm transferring some books to a kindle touch 4. If I send them as mobi, I have some funny symbols instead of apostrophes and speech marks. I read that this could be fixed by transferring as AZW3. This has fixed the text problem, however the AZW3 files don't have cover images when they are transferred.

Any idea how I get the AZW3 versions to have cover images?
richstant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Complain to Amazon about this issue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us/

Amazon Kindle is able to display such covers (https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs), but it was broken (probably intentionally) for personal uploaded books to promote Amazon book sells.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Note: If you use calibre, then the Send-to-Device option will transfer the necessary cover thumbnails along with the book.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note that the "funny symbols" is a character encoding issue. The book isn't encoded with the right character set definition. The reason it goes away when you convert to AZW3 is because AZW3 is Unicode-based.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
richstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiris View Post
Complain to Amazon about this issue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us/

Amazon Kindle is able to display such covers (https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs), but it was broken (probably intentionally) for personal uploaded books to promote Amazon book sells.
Thanks - however, from what I read, I thought that USB loaded books were OK? As I say, if I do them as mobi, then I do get covers. It's only the AZW3 that fail.
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
richstant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note that the "funny symbols" is a character encoding issue. The book isn't encoded with the right character set definition. The reason it goes away when you convert to AZW3 is because AZW3 is Unicode-based.
Thanks - I've also read that I can fix it by transliterating unicode while converting, so I can solve my problems by doing that, and sticking with mobi.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there's a field on Calibre's conversion option screen which lets you specify what the correct character set for the book is.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure there's a field on Calibre's conversion option screen which lets you specify what the correct character set for the book is.
Just checked, and it's the "Input character encoding" field on the "Text" tab of the "Look & Feel" page of the conversion dialog.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #9
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
azw3, covers, "books" sort

If you convert to azw3, and don't enable sharing of contents, yet supply a valid ASIN and apply the ASIN fix via the Quality Check Plugin, you actually get the content sharing back, along with thumbnails, and the proper "books" sorting on the device. That's the holy grail.
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:02 AM   #10
Skies
Skies will become famous soon enoughSkies will become famous soon enoughSkies will become famous soon enoughSkies will become famous soon enoughSkies will become famous soon enoughSkies will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2, Aura One
I also have this problem with sideloaded & converted AZW3 files via Calibre.

My "old format, non KF8" .mobi files show covers on Kindle if I check the "sharing" option.

Does that mean I should just stick to the "old mobi format" if I want covers on Kindle?
Skies is offline   Reply With Quote