Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Exclamation Kobo won't read books already in progress

I'm having nothing but problems here.

I recently loaded an EPUB library book onto my Kobo eReader and now everything's messed up. I can't read any of my other EPUB books that were uploaded with ADE; the ones that were uploaded with the Kobo application will open, but they have no formatting (which is why I use ADE to put books on my Kobo). Strangely enough, the EPUB library book (downloaded with ADE) will open... but not the others.

Does this have something to do with the time-sensitive nature of the library book? It seems that any books that I've had open on my reader for longer than 21 days will not open (that's also the length of the loan period for the library book).

Compounding the problem is the fact that I can't delete the books from my Kobo and try again. ADE says they're gone. The Kobo desktop app says they're gone (I even deleted the books from my library and my Kobo account and sync'ed). My hard drive says they're gone. But there are still two copies of some books on the Kobo device. How do you delete a book that isn't there?

And how do I get access to the rest of my books? At the moment, my Kobo is basically just a $150 library book.

Update:

I tried to delete everything again and start from scratch. I've still got two copies of some books, and the rest of the EPUBs (the ones I hadn't opened yet) are now missing; I watched them supposedly transfer to the Kobo device, but they're not there. And the books downloaded with ADE still won't open. Guess that means I can't use ADE for transfer anymore.

I expected to get more than a month of reading out of this thing before it decided to quit. I'm not impressed.

Last edited by La Coccinelle; 11-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
  • Check to make sure that the date and time is set on your Kobo. When something like a library download triggers this type of problem, my first guess is that date and time is the culprit.
  • Also check to see that you have the latest version of the firmware (you will have to use your WiFi to do something like go to shop or update your library for the update message to be triggered).
  • Make sure you have the latest version of the desktop application as well.
  • If some of this happened when you were using Calibre .0.7.29 or .0.7.30 this may be the problem. Yesterday's release of .0.7.31 is fine, but folks did have to reset when earlier versions acted up.

When everything above is A-OK, check to see if Adobe is now working. If it is not, then reset to factory default and load your books again.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
  • I checked the time and date on my Kobo. The date was correct, but the time wasn't. I know I set it when I first got the device, but something reset the time. I fixed it.
  • My firmware is version 1.4. I have the original Kobo (no WiFi).
  • The desktop app is up to date.
  • I've never used Calibre. Should I be using it? What is it for?

The thing still isn't working. I tried removing just the library book, but it didn't make any difference. I've still got two books that won't open, and two messed-up format copies of the same books that will (but that I can't delete because the software says they're not there).

Everything works fine in ADE. There seems to be a breakdown in communication between my computer and the Kobo device.

How do I reset this thing?

Update: Never mind. I found it. Everything seems to be working now. I hope this was just an isolated incident and not something that's going to happen every time I use the library!

Last edited by La Coccinelle; 11-29-2010 at 02:46 PM.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I use the library a lot and haven't run into these kinds of problems so hopefully you won't get any more either!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote