Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
FuzzyDog
FuzzyDog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre doesn't start

The application shows up in the task manager.

I had my library on a network drive (yeah, I didn't read the FAQ beforehand). The IP changed and when it started up it said it couldn't find it and asked me to point it to the new directory. I did so and then it froze.

I killed it and tried to restart it but the same thing keeps happening.

I was thinking that maybe I need to edit the config files by hand or something. But I'm not sure where. I can't find where they are stored. I've searched but I've only found that if you open the program you can click in the preferences and it will open the location.
FuzzyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
FuzzyDog

Ok, I did a search for the network path in all directories titled Calibre in both program files and app data. I replaced the old network path with the new network path. no dice.

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Copied my network drive to my local machine intending to point the fresh install there. Calibre still does not start.

Uninstall should be a fresh slate.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDog View Post
Ok, I did a search for the network path in all directories titled Calibre in both program files and app data. I replaced the old network path with the new network path. no dice.

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Copied my network drive to my local machine intending to point the fresh install there. Calibre still does not start.

Uninstall should be a fresh slate.
Calibre's uninstall is not a clean slate. Quite a bit is left behind so you can re-install without losing settings, plugins, libraries, etc. The last time I tried a complete uninstall of calibre under Windows, I removed the calibre2 directory from Program Files, the calibre-cache directory from AppData\Local and the calibre directory from AppData\Roaming. I also exported my libraries to an external HD and deleted them but that was likely overkill.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to start calibre with a particualr library path simply run it from the command prompt with

calibre --with-library "C:/path/to/library/folder"
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
FuzzyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... The last time I tried a complete uninstall of calibre under Windows, I removed the calibre2 directory from Program Files, the calibre-cache directory from AppData\Local and the calibre directory from AppData\Roaming...
That did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
If you want to start calibre with a particualr library path simply run it from the command prompt with

calibre --with-library "C:/path/to/library/folder"
Thanks! I'll remember that next time.