Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
Could this method be utilized for other kindle jailbreaking. I have two voyage I’d like to hack.
Unless you're okay with the possibility of getting a brick, I wouldn't try it. Someone was brave enough to test it on a KT4 and the diags bricked it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Nevermind.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #18
ivanone
ivanone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thank you guys so much for your explanation! I really appreciate your work to help others!

I followed all the steps, and I think I JB my PW4. The Kual document appeared on the home screen, and that's great, cuz I didn't brick my Kindle.

The only problem is that I don't know what to do next. I try to put the .bin files (Python, Screensavers hack, font hack, etc) into mrpackages folder, and then I open the Kual to install them, but after loading nothing happens
Am I missing something?
ivanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #19
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanone View Post
Thank you guys so much for your explanation! I really appreciate your work to help others!

I followed all the steps, and I think I JB my PW4. The Kual document appeared on the home screen, and that's great, cuz I didn't brick my Kindle.

The only problem is that I don't know what to do next. I try to put the .bin files (Python, Screensavers hack, font hack, etc) into mrpackages folder, and then I open the Kual to install them, but after loading nothing happens
Am I missing something?
I just went through the process and it worked ok. I had a little bit of trouble with screensavers as I didn't install python 2.7 first.

Did you try the ;log mrpi method? Does Kual show any entries for the screensavers hack? Are the bin files still in the mrpackages folder?
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Am I missing something?
KUAL is just a menu to launch stuff from. You have to go to Helper -> Install MR Packages to actually install stuff. Or as mentioned in the post above, ;log mrpi in the search bar works as well.

Personally, I do the install for all add-ons in one step. Directly after installing the hotfix, I copy all the packages I need (KUAL, python, screensaver, etc) to the mrpackages folder and just run ;log mrpi to install everything in one shot.

I actually mentioned this in the instructions.

Step 10. Install MRPI and KUAL.

e. (Optional) You can also copy the various update*.bin KUAL Add-On packages to the mrpackages folder for installation at this point (e.g. python, linkss/screensaver, etc).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-16-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Advert
Old 12-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #21
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Kindle Paperwhite 4 Software Jailbreak Instructions Released
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...tions-released

obviously jailbreaking voids the warranty
No, it doesn't.

Last edited by hius07; 12-17-2020 at 11:22 AM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #22
ivanone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
KUAL is just a menu to launch stuff from. You have to go to Helper -> Install MR Packages to actually install stuff. Or as mentioned in the post above, ;log mrpi in the search bar works as well.

Personally, I do the install for all add-ons in one step. Directly after installing the hotfix, I copy all the packages I need (KUAL, python, screensaver, etc) to the mrpackages folder and just run ;log mrpi to install everything in one shot.

I actually mentioned this in the instructions.

Step 10. Install MRPI and KUAL.

e. (Optional) You can also copy the various update*.bin KUAL Add-On packages to the mrpackages folder for installation at this point (e.g. python, linkss/screensaver, etc).
Yes, you're right! The instructions were very well explained, and I followed them as if they were in the Bible xD
I think my problem was that I used the bin files from the list that says"Packages targeting the Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3/4" and it should be from the "Packages targeting the Kindle 5", right?

Thank you again!
Old 12-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3/4 are very old with different hardware.

Kindles have been Kindle 5 for a long time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #24
ivanone

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Kindle 2/DX/DXG/3/4 are very old with different hardware.

Kindles have been Kindle 5 for a long time.
I didn't know that, it's the first time I hack a kindle. But it worked! Thank you again. I only have 2 more questons:

1- How do I change the screensaver now?
2- Is there a bin file to make the kindle read .cbr files?
Old 12-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #25
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I didn't know that, it's the first time I hack a kindle. But it worked! Thank you again. I only have 2 more questons:

1- How do I change the screensaver now?
2- Is there a bin file to make the kindle read .cbr files?
1. Check the readme file or something from the linkss/screensaver package. There are descriptions and instructions for the various modes available there.

2. KOReader supports CBZ (zip) files but not CBR (rar) as I recall. That said, it's very easy to convert your CBR files to CBZ since these are basically renamed ZIP/RAR archives which contain a bunch of images. You'll want to use the KOReader kindlepw2 version for your PW4.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:23 AM   #26
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
One more

You can now root the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 4
https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/...e-paperwhite-4
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #27
Tony556
Tony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolateTony556 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 90C6
Beautiful, love you all who hack these devices. <333
Tony556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #28
kingfisherninja4
kingfisherninja4 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite4
Thanks @ilovejedd!! I appreciate the work that goes into these sorts of hacks.
kingfisherninja4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherninja4 View Post
Thanks @ilovejedd!! I appreciate the work that goes into these sorts of hacks.
To be perfectly honest, it really was more blind luck than work.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #30
gregsoir
gregsoir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
is it possible to downgrade from 5.13.4 to 5.13.3 and then to jailbrake?
gregsoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw4 jailbreak