Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #16
jhh
jhh began at the beginning.

Device: KT4
This link gives me "access denied":
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...0th_5.11.0.bin
Link to 5.11.1 version does work though.
Care to share where's a working link?
jhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Good point. The FW version for the initial rollout of a new device is often unavailable from Amazon, so, no, you're most likely not doing anything wrong, that's just the way it is.

An effective (i.e., > the factory version) update will "simply" prevent you from attempting this process again, should you ever need to [that means if you screw it up oh so very badly (which usually involves a factory reset *combined* with a FW update)].

Also, IIRC, the visible links have an extra funky SEO layer on my end for the KT4, which doesn't help (i.e., the real URL is behind a 301 request).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-04-2019 at 04:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh View Post
This link gives me "access denied":
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...0th_5.11.0.bin
Link to 5.11.1 version does work though.
Care to share where's a working link?
I get the same results.
Note: This is for a PW4 not a KT4! (oops, fingers hit wrong short-cut).

Hmmm...
Amazon never posts as an "update" the original firmware version devices ship with.

Last edited by knc1; 06-04-2019 at 06:03 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I get the same results.
Note: This is for a PW4 not a KT4!

Hmmm...
Amazon never posts as an "update" the original firmware version devices ship with.
update_kindle_10th_5.11.0.bin *is* for a KT4. It's the first stock firmware though so usually not available as OTA download.

PW4 is update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_x.x.x.bin

Of course, that's not to be confused with:

PW2 update_kindle_paperwhite_v2

or

PW3 update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite

Hooray for Amazon's absolutely clear and not confusing at all nomenclature.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 AM   #20
ExiledOne
ExiledOne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Just to be super clear so I don't accidentally brick my device, I bought a Kindle a few months ago (the latest Paperwhite with waterproofing). I updated it initially but later ran it in airplane mode after that. My device (PW4 I believe) is currently on firmware version 5.10.1.3. Am I in the clear? Or is a problem because I initially updated the device?
ExiledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2019, 12:38 AM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledOne View Post
Just to be super clear so I don't accidentally brick my device, I bought a Kindle a few months ago (the latest Paperwhite with waterproofing). I updated it initially but later ran it in airplane mode after that. My device (PW4 I believe) is currently on firmware version 5.10.1.3. Am I in the clear? Or is a problem because I initially updated the device?
Probably fine. Someone else has tried it on OTA updated 5.10.1.2 and it worked.

There's always some risk though. Make sure your PW4 is fully charged when you make the attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
I bought my first PW4 back in November 2018 and (sadly) let it update to 5.10.1.2. I have kept it at that firmware and in airplane mode since then. (8G with Special Offers, G000 PP07 8333). (I have a second PW4 I bought shortly after the 1st that I was able to jailbreak back in November.)

Today I removed Special Offers, then installed 5.10.1.3 factory firmware, then installed the jailbreak and other related files, then installed 5.10.1.3 customer firmware. I don't plan to update the firmware further since I use KOReader.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #22
ExiledOne

Super fast response, much appreciated. I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the reassurance!
Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
ExiledOne

For anyone having any doubts like I did I just want to confirm it worked. I'm looking forward to discovering what other cool things I can do with this. Already got KUAL and Koreader running and working on the custom screensaver thing now.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szvengar
I installed the factory FW, which was fairly quick 5-10 minutes, without any problem.
Then I installed K5 Factory JailBreak but the document "You are Jailbroken" does not appear.

So I did not go further.
Can you please describe the exact steps you followed (what package you downloaded, filename that you copied to the Kindle, command you tried to run, etc)?

This has the latest jailbreak instruction and contains the link to the up-to-date packages.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320570

Also, instructions from the first post are more up to date than the one on the dedicated PW4 thread so make sure to read that.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564
Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #25
Szvengar
Szvengar began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd
Can you please describe the exact steps you followed (what package you downloaded, filename that you copied to the Kindle, command you tried to run, etc)?

This has the latest jailbreak instruction and contains the link to the up-to-date packages.

Also, instructions from the first post are more up to date than the one on the dedicated PW4 thread so make sure to read that.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564
I mostly followed what's on the two links.

So I did the following steps:
- reset the kindle from Settings
- download and copy update_pw4_5.10.3_factory.bin in the root directory
- update the kindle
- download kindle-jb-factory-1.3-r15992.tar.xz and copy main-htmlviewer.tar.gz in the root directory
- search ;installHtml and press return. Waited until it get back to the menu but no new document.
- Seeing nothing I restarted the kindle but still no new document

I can see \etc\uks\pubdevkey01.pem and \mnt\us\documents\You are Jailbroken.txt on the USB storage.
Szvengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szvengar View Post
I mostly followed what's on the two links.

So I did the following steps:
- reset the kindle from Settings
- download and copy update_pw4_5.10.3_factory.bin in the root directory
- update the kindle
- download kindle-jb-factory-1.3-r15992.tar.xz and copy main-htmlviewer.tar.gz in the root directory
- search ;installHtml and press return. Waited until it get back to the menu but no new document.
- Seeing nothing I restarted the kindle but still no new document

I can see \etc\uks\pubdevkey01.pem and \mnt\us\documents\You are Jailbroken.txt on the USB storage.
Then your jail break is completely installed.
Diddle the various view settings and filter settings on the main screen until you can see the Jailbroken.txt file, you have that disabled from viewing.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szvengar View Post
Can you post a screenshot of your USB?

Are you on Mac by any chance? You need to copy main-htmlviewer.tar.gz to the Kindle root intact. I have no idea how to do that on Mac.

You can also try the other method (Merchant.zip + ;merchant). I know it says for >= 5.11 but the vulnerability exists in earlier factory firmware as well (I’ve even seen it in logs/dumps from threads in 2013).

Old 06-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #28
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Then your jail break is completely installed.
Diddle the various view settings and filter settings on the main screen until you can see the Jailbroken.txt file, you have that disabled from viewing.
Not quite. Afaik, /etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem should be in the root partition and not visible via USB-MS.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #29
Szvengar
Szvengar began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura, PW4
I'm on Windows. I extracted main-htmlviewer.tar.gz directly from 7-zip.

I tried to install JB Hotfix but it made an error 007 at the update.

Trying the Merchant method now.
Szvengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Szvengar:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Copy the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file as-is (i.e., don't unpack it)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote