Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #61
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
I know I can select whatever I want in the User Category editor, but I can't when I use the plugin directly, which was what I wanted to be able to.

Does the hierarchal items also work in user categories?
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #62
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I have never used the user category editor. I just use the tag browser normally, and find the tag I want and right click on it and there is a "add to user category" submenu which lets me pick a user category to add it to.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #63
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Can I copy what's in my User Category from one library to another? Or use the same selection for all my libraries?
Old 12-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Can I copy what's in my User Category from one library to another? Or use the same selection for all my libraries?
The categories are stored in the Config folder (dedicated to that plugin).
Reading the note and considering the settings are in Config (vs the Library), I would think they are global.

If you want to transfer those settings, just copy the named plugin folder to the same location on the new machine.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #65
Tanjamuse
Wizard

As you can see from the following 2 screenshots, at least in my Calibre they are based on where the selection is made. Otherwise I would think the 2 lists should be the same?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2017-12-25 21.23.13.png
Views:	436
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	160944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2017-12-25 21.23.42.png
Views:	438
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	160945  
Advert
Old 12-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #66
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The categories are stored in the Config folder (dedicated to that plugin).
Reading the note and considering the settings are in Config (vs the Library), I would think they are global.

If you want to transfer those settings, just copy the named plugin folder to the same location on the new machine.
@theducks - User Category definitions are stored per library, as are the User Category plugin configuration settings.

They are not custom columns so I don't think copying books will offer to copy them - Tanjamuse probably tried that. In theory the popup that asks which custom columns you want to copy should also ask which UserCats. Need to be careful though, the UserCat definitions can refer to custom columns, not sure what happens if a UserCat refers to a non-existent custom column (i.e one you didn't copy).

As things stand I think you'd need to find the definitions, and the plugins settings in the source library's metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file, copy each to the clipboard, paste each into the target library's metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file, and then rebuild that library's database.

You'd want to ensure you had backups of the two libraries metadata.db and metadata_db_prefs_backup.json files, just in case it doesn't work, or you make a mistake.

Aside: IIRC UserCats used to have a distinctive icon in the Tag Browser, I'm now seeing the custom column icon (stubby ionic column), could be my customisations I guess Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #67
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BR: Ah
T: If that is all the differences between the library structures. You might be able to:
1)Create a new library USING the existing structure of the one with your categories.
2)Select all the books in the library that needs them,Copy to Library: <the new one> .
3)test, then delete the old (now empty) one, you can even rename the new one if desired
Old 12-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #68
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BR: Ah
T: If that is all the differences between the library structures. You might be able to:
1)Create a new library USING the existing structure of the one with your categories.
2)Select all the books in the library that needs them,Copy to Library: <the new one> .
3)test, then delete the old (now empty) one, you can even rename the new one if desired
Do you really think I didn't try that, well I did and it did not work. That's why I suggested copying chunks of the source preferences table backup to the target preferences table backup and doing a database rebuild.

@Tanjamuse - maybe DaltonST could add a feature to his Job Spy PI.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-25-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:34 AM   #69
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Do you really think I didn't try that, well I did and it did not work. That's why I suggested copying chunks of the source preferences table backup to the target preferences table backup and doing a database rebuild.

@Tanjamuse - maybe DaltonST could add a feature to his Job Spy PI.

BR
Sorry, but my vision is going and I could not see what you tried.
This is really strange, the json has values to restore the DB structure, including text with a fixed set of values. I have used the copy structure , and my presets came across
Old 12-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #70
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
This is really strange, the json has values to restore the DB structure, including text with a fixed set of values. I have used the copy structure , and my presets came across
I think that's because the allowable values are contained within the definition of the column. Custom columns and their characteristics are fundamental to calibre; without them it probably wouldn't have 30,000 active users, let alone 3,000,000

Even though its built-into the core, the User category feature is more like an optional extra along the lines of Reading Lists (and much less used than RLs I suggest). I think I'm right in saying: If you copy books from Library A to Library B the Reading lists in which the books appear in Library A aren't copied to Library B.

BR
Old 12-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #71
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Even though its built-into the core, the User category feature is more like an optional extra along the lines of Reading Lists (and much less used than RLs I suggest). I think I'm right in saying: If you copy books from Library A to Library B the Reading lists in which the books appear in Library A aren't copied to Library B.

BR
That makes sense. I was thinking Categories were like Tags. Part of the structures data set.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #72
Tanjamuse
Wizard

Would it be possible to add rules to the user categories both for the build-in tag column and custom columns?

If tag A is present add it to the user category.

If tag A & B is present don't add it to the user category?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #73
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Would it be possible to add rules to the user categories both for the build-in tag column and custom columns?

If tag A is present add it to the user category.

If tag A & B is present don't add it to the user category?
That's pretty easy to do with saved searches.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 AM   #74
Tanjamuse
Wizard

I can't add searches to the user categories.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #75
compurandom
Guru

Saved searches have their own category. Adding them to user categories too seems redundant?