Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 10:14 PM   #16
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
doesn't the battery have an identification number so you can purchase by yourself a compatible one?

I did that with other ereaders in the past.

doubt is a custom one.

Last edited by whopper; 10-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:35 AM   #17
Arjava
Arjava began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
doesn't the battery have an identification number so you can purchase by yourself a compatible one?

I did that with other ereaders in the past.

doubt is a custom one.
There are picture on another thread from you,tell me if you can find compatible battery.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311040
Arjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #18
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjava View Post
There are picture on another thread from you,tell me if you can find compatible battery.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311040
I tried to do it before posting to help but I couldn't find it anything with those numbers, that's why I was asking if someone who did the full teardown saw other numbers on the battery, maybe on the other side that isn't shown on those photos.

also, have nayone tried to write onyx to ask them what model it is?

and if not, maybe another battery that could fit the dimensions even if it have a bit less of charge.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
Arjava

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
I tried to do it before posting to help but I couldn't find it anything with those numbers, that's why I was asking if someone who did the full teardown saw other numbers on the battery, maybe on the other side that isn't shown on those photos.

also, have nayone tried to write onyx to ask them what model it is?

and if not, maybe another battery that could fit the dimensions even if it have a bit less of charge.
There is nothing on the other side,and Onyx don't want me to replace the battery myself,a battery without any information about the manufacturer like that can't be a good one anyway.

And the electrician who helped me with the Max 2 couldn't find any battery that fit since it's very thin,that's why my Max 2 has turned into a FrankenMax.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #20
Arjava

The battery look really shitty
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
mlslzrvc
mlslzrvc began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Hi,

Finally I have managed to replace battery. It was not easy however the effort paid off. After 5 days fully charged battery discharged 13%.

I passed a similar path as Arjava.

More than year and half I asked for replacement battery the seller when the bookreader was bought. They told me to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer told me they not sell batteries and to send them the bookreader for repair. It was not option for me to send the device from Europe to China. Then I have contacted ereader.store, but except automated message that they would reply as soon as possible I did not receive anything else.
After that I was going around local notebook/tablet/cell phone repair shops, however no one was willing to replace the battery.
At that time the battery last one week regardless of bookreader usage.
A few months ago battery started not keeping energy more than one day so I started using powerbank. When battery stopped working at all I had to find solution.

Based on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311040 I have managed to disassemble bookreader. It was not obvious how to reach screws. In order to lift plastic mask which covers screws, I have used thin solid blade, starting from lower right corner and going to upper end. The plastic mask is glued to bookreader body so I had to be very careful in order not to break something, especially when working on lower part which is wider and thus stronger bonded. As a result of this action some edges was peeled. After the mas was removed I was really surprised that I had to screw as many as 25 tiny bolts in order to uncover battery.

Finaly, the secret was revealed:

3.7 v 4100 mAh 3 wire lipo battery; size: 2.6 mm x 80 mm x 159 mm

And then the pains started. I could not believe that I could not find such or similar battery in local nor web shops. When I was totally disappointed I came on local battery repair shop that was willing to modify one of the batteries which they sells. It was Asus Nexus battery
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-B.../dp/B01HNSCD88

The battery has got 6 wires, they replaced it with PCB from my battery which has got 3 wires. I got the new battery for 30 euros. I hope it will last more than original one.

As a result the bookreader started to behave better than before. The screen is flat, a pen can be used for writing. Also button press or pen tap gives immediate response.

How it looked like can been seen in attached photos.
mlslzrvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #22
mlslzrvc

The pictures are attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip MaxBatteryReplacement1.zip (12.04 MB, 910 views)
File Type: zip MaxBatteryReplacement2.zip (12.15 MB, 796 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:08 AM   #23
Arjava

That was nice,mlslzrvc
Old 10-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #24
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlslzrvc View Post
Hi,

Finally I have managed to replace battery. It was not easy however the effort paid off. After 5 days fully charged battery discharged 13%.

I passed a similar path as Arjava.

More than year and half I asked for replacement battery the seller when the bookreader was bought. They told me to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer told me they not sell batteries and to send them the bookreader for repair. It was not option for me to send the device from Europe to China. Then I have contacted ereader.store, but except automated message that they would reply as soon as possible I did not receive anything else.
After that I was going around local notebook/tablet/cell phone repair shops, however no one was willing to replace the battery.
At that time the battery last one week regardless of bookreader usage.
A few months ago battery started not keeping energy more than one day so I started using powerbank. When battery stopped working at all I had to find solution.

Based on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311040 I have managed to disassemble bookreader. It was not obvious how to reach screws. In order to lift plastic mask which covers screws, I have used thin solid blade, starting from lower right corner and going to upper end. The plastic mask is glued to bookreader body so I had to be very careful in order not to break something, especially when working on lower part which is wider and thus stronger bonded. As a result of this action some edges was peeled. After the mas was removed I was really surprised that I had to screw as many as 25 tiny bolts in order to uncover battery.

Finaly, the secret was revealed:

3.7 v 4100 mAh 3 wire lipo battery; size: 2.6 mm x 80 mm x 159 mm

And then the pains started. I could not believe that I could not find such or similar battery in local nor web shops. When I was totally disappointed I came on local battery repair shop that was willing to modify one of the batteries which they sells. It was Asus Nexus battery
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-B.../dp/B01HNSCD88

The battery has got 6 wires, they replaced it with PCB from my battery which has got 3 wires. I got the new battery for 30 euros. I hope it will last more than original one.

As a result the bookreader started to behave better than before. The screen is flat, a pen can be used for writing. Also button press or pen tap gives immediate response.

How it looked like can been seen in attached photos.

Thank you very much for this post, it is extremely helpful.

How much did it cost for the repair shop to exchange the PCB from the old to the new battery?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #25
mlslzrvc

The battery costs 20 eur + 10 eur exchanging PCB from the old to the new battery. Total cost 30 euro. If I had sent the bookreader to China I would have paid much more.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #26
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
The obligatory battery usage best practice:

https://www.ecnmag.com/blog/2015/11/...smartphone-now

TLR: Don't subject to heat, don't leave plugged in, work between 20-70%
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #27
LVM
LVM began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox note, Kindle Paperwhite
Does anybody know if Onyx Boox Note has the same battery or battery size (in mm) of the Onyx Boox Max 2?

I let the battery discharge to 1% and recharging still worked but I noticed the device disconnected from charger quite a few times while charging from 1% to 10%. So I'd like to be able to solve the problem by myself if this happens to me in the future.

Thanks!
LVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #28
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
The battery costs 20 eur + 10 eur exchanging PCB from the old to the new battery. Total cost 30 euro. If I had sent the bookreader to China I would have paid much more.

Hi mlslzrvc! Any updates about your new battery? does it work well?
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #29
mlslzrvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Hi mlslzrvc! Any updates about your new battery? does it work well?
Yes. For now it has got less than 1% self-discharge per day.
I use bookreader mostly for reading PDFs, with WiFi turned off. In such conditions it discharges 3-4 % per hour.
I cannot remember how it was when I have bought the bookreader. Probably the same for self-discharge and little bit better for reading usage.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #30
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
Yes. For now it has got less than 1% self-discharge per day.
I use bookreader mostly for reading PDFs, with WiFi turned off. In such conditions it discharges 3-4 % per hour.
I cannot remember how it was when I have bought the bookreader. Probably the same for self-discharge and little bit better for reading usage.
Thank you for your answer :-)
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote