Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Anyone read Lee Childs?

On a B&N blog on my Nook, author Lee Child was mentioned. I checked on B&N and found he has quite a few books that seem like they may be decent. Most are part of the Jack Reacher series. Anyone have an opinion of the series and which are the better choices? Thanks.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Yeah, I've read all of the Jack Reacher series and have really like every one. Start with the first one and read them in order. You will not be disappointed!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'll second what Cassidy said. I've read and re-read ALL of Lee Child's books. The 'Reacher' series is a total page turner from cover to cover, first book to last. Not quite as 'deep' as Sandford's "Prey" series (much more characterization in those as there are simply more characters) but every bit as entertaining. As suggested, try to read the 'Reacher' series in order if you can. While they will each stand on their own, there is a continuity to them that adds to the story lines.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
+3. Lee Child is one of the best current thriller writers out there. The Reacher series reminds me of Sandford's Prey series, in terms of its compulsive page-turnability.

Jack Reacher is the epitome of the strong, silent, deadly.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Also check out Jack DuBrul. Series of books about a mining engineer who gets involved in world-class plots.

In one episode he is staying at the Luxor in Las Vegas and assassins are outside his room. He escapes by breaking a window and wetting a bedsheet and dragging it behind him as he slides down the glass pyramid.

I was staying at the Luxor a few weeks ago and I was eyeing the outside and my wife gave me "the look" that ment "Dont even think about it Mister."
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
+4 I've also read the entire Reacher series. Some where better than others but no reason to skip any.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
My husband just loves the Jack Reacher series, but I'm not so keen.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
My husband just loves the Jack Reacher series, but I'm not so keen.
It's a 'guy' thing. Reacher is definitely NOT 'chick-lit.'

Stitchawl
Old 06-08-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ For the most part, true! But I do know a few femmes who go crazy for Mr. Reacher.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ For the most part, true! But I do know a few femmes who go crazy for Mr. Reacher.

I can imagine.

Stitchawl
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a million guys. I'm looking forward to reading the series. I'll read them in order but since there are like 16 of them I'll probably read other books in between. I think I'll get bored if I read nothing but Jack Reacher. The downside is that with the B&N ebook editions, the first 6 books of the series come in a package for $60. Amazon has them all individually so I may have to use my Wife's Amazon account for her Kindle to buy the first 6 and convert them for my Nook. Thanks again.

~eddie

Last edited by JerseyBiker; 06-08-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Very enjoyable series.

Quote:
... I'll read them in order ...
You might want to consider reading The Enemy first, it is the first chronologically and gives a little background on Jack. But you could read the series in any order and miss very little.

Do you use the library? The books are probably available to most ebook libraries. The Philadelphia Free Library has some books in the series.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

IMO, the Reacher series, like the Prey series, is best enjoyed in chronological order. Not a requirement but...

I read them that way. And no spoilers, but the last few books should definitely be read in order.

Enjoy!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Very enjoyable series.

Do you use the library? The books are probably available to most ebook libraries. The Philadelphia Free Library has some books in the series.
I use my County library for ebooks but very rarely. Most are in PDF format which I'm not a big fan of. I checked the County and they have only one of the Reacher series listed and there is a 9 people waiting list. Since you can hold on to them for 2 weeks that's a very long wait. I guess the County library is allowed to lend out but so many ebooks copies. I considered the Phila library in the past but I never joined. Maybe I'll give it a try now. Not that it matters but I was born in Phila and live an hour away.

~eddie
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I really enjoy these books, but I recommend putting several other books in between each Jack Reacher novel. They can get pretty repetitive if you read several of them back to back to back. I treat them like ice cream sundaes—ice cream sundaes that occasionally feed my "ass-kicking" tooth. A great occasional treat, but I wouldn't want to try to live on a steady diet of it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote