Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And, does it have to be in that order?
No, you could do it either way around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #122
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you could do it either way around.
Yes, either way. I figured direct to Kindle was faster of the two.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #123
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Yes, Helvetica is probably Kindle's darkest font, but I just prefer a serif font for reading books for some odd reason, it's more comfortable for me. Which is really odd since most web pages are sans serif fonts and I don't have a problem with them at all reading on the computer. It's just my (probably quirky) preference to use a serif font for reading books.
Helvetica is the only stock font I feel is dark enough for me to read comfortably. It's just not a good typeface for long form reading. Hence I load my own.

Quote:
Or at least nobody has yet discovered what the key is to making the Kindle recognise a book as having "enhanced typesetting" enabled.
The 64k question. I hope it's something simple like a few css flags and not html tags everywhere, or worse, proprietary binary format that needs to be reverse engineered.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The 64k question. I hope it's something simple like a few css flags and not html tags everywhere, or worse, proprietary binary format that needs to be reverse engineered.
From what I've been reading, it's more complicated than finding the right flags to set on a KF8 eBook. It very well could be a new format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #125
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Has anyone tried embedding bold Bookerly as the default in a book?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #126
byzkarl
byzkarl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I have to say, I'm enjoying Bookerly quite a lot, even without enhanced typesetting. My Voyage went from pretty good to excellent.

The dictionary/wikipedia lookup improvements are nice too.

I can't wait to get back to my book.
byzkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #127
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I downloaded an enhanced ebook, and it does indeed have hyphenation, which is something I don't like. I looked but haven't found a setting to turn this feature off. Please tell me I'm just missing it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #128
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I suppose you could always download via the browser and sideload the AZW3.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #129
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
... The 64k question. I hope it's something simple like a few css flags and not html tags everywhere, or worse, proprietary binary format that needs to be reverse engineered.
It's not looking good.

See this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have taken a quick look inside some [raw binary] kfx files on my Kindle and I see that it is a significantly different format from previous Kindle formats. None of the existing software or "tools" [KindleUnpack, Calibre, Alf] can handle this as they are now.
Also this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263902
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #130
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Does anyone know how many Kindle models will not be updated to handle KFX? Just wondering what the likelihood is Amazon will deprecate AZW3. (I figure they'll keep mobi support for personal documents.)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #131
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The K3, K4, and KT all support AZW3, and none of them are likely to be updated.

*Maybe* the KT, which also uses the 5.x firmware (complete with full system images) and which does after all run on the same SoC as the PW1.
But the K3? Never. The first update it saw in G-d knows how long was... a critical patch to fix dangerous security vulnerabilities surrounding SSL3 (to wit, using it). They are never going to backport extensive new features to a device whose life support is on life support.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:39 AM   #132
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Ok, so the Lord oof the Rings ebook I was reading does not support the new typography, however I'm almost certain that it looks more beautiful-ler! Am I just imagining things, or...? Particularly something to do with the margins... Wish I took a screen of the book before the update but alas, was not thinking ahead... What do you guys think?
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #133
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're imagining it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:57 AM   #134
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
You're imagining it.
Bummer lol.

Man the voyage looks gewd.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:21 AM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The K3, K4, and KT all support AZW3, and none of them are likely to be updated.

*Maybe* the KT, which also uses the 5.x firmware (complete with full system images) and which does after all run on the same SoC as the PW1.
But the K3? Never. The first update it saw in G-d knows how long was... a critical patch to fix dangerous security vulnerabilities surrounding SSL3 (to wit, using it). They are never going to backport extensive new features to a device whose life support is on life support.
The KT is an older Reader than the PW1. The KT is the last eInk Kindle to have audio. What you mean is the Kindle. The one that replaced the basic non-touch Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote