Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
tinlizzie
tinlizzie began at the beginning.

Device: palm
Trying to buy a book

After months of converting free books via caliber and mobipocket/creator to be read on our T|X, I am finally ready to buy my first book. But, alas, I am totally confused, as to where to buy it from. It appears that one needs to have the corresponding devise to buy the book, i.e. if I buy from B&N, the epub file (if that is what it is - I have no way of telling, it's just called Ebook) I would need a nook, or if not, how do I convert it to a format usable on the TX ? The same with Amazon's kindle, how do I load the (presumably mobi format) to my T|X, if it comes in on the kindle for pc? It seems the longer I look at this buying thing the more confusing it gets. I would hate to spend the money for a book and then not be able to actually read it. If I buy the book and d/l it to nook or kindle pc, how do I get it out of there and into my T|X ? Thanks in advance for any help.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You do not need to have the corresponding device. All the companies mentioned offer a version of their device to use for PC. This way you can download your book. BUT all the companies mentioned also have their DRM schemes. Which means that you will either be able to read said book on their device or PC version or you will have to strip the DRM which is not legal, but possible.

For others you will have to install Adobe Digital Editions to get epub content. This is also needed to download books from ebook libraries such as the Singapore Library that is for free!

There are shops that sell DRM free books. Some of them you will find here for example. Also make sure to have a look at bewrite.net. Neil is a member here and they just giving away two books for free for each of us.

For more information just use the Search function
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
tinlizzie
tinlizzie began at the beginning.

Device: palm
Thank you so much for your help Poppaea :-). I took the plunge and bought the book from BooksOnBoard. All went well, except I had to sign up to and install the Adobe Digital Edition reader, so I could "read the book" :-). However, as you mentioned there might be a silver-lining in that I will be able to get books from the Singapore Library. I also have looked at Mr. Neil's website and it was easy finding two I would like to read.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am glad you figured it out and found something you will enjoy to read! The Singapore Library is very big with nearly 3,000 romance titles and as much mystery ones, they also have a broad selection of non-fiction. I am sure you will always find a read there.

Have fun reading!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote