Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #1
eddierm
eddierm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Question I need a beginner's guide to setup Joplin in koreader

Hi everyone!

I have been using koreader for some years now and found it very useful for my academic work. I used to export all my highlights to evernote but since September 2020 this plugin is broken. I know there is a Joplin plugin right now but found the help section confusing and I could not configure it properly.

I have been using Joplin on android and windows and even I could setup a Joplin server in my raspberry pi and connected from my cell phone and laptop.

I would like to ask you for a beginner's guide to configure my kobo Libra H2O with koreader...

Thanks in advance!
eddierm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps the evernote plugin developer/s at the KOReader project on Github, would be able to provide the most help, might even be willing to tweak their code to make a hand off to "Joplin" easier. (Not a Note taking guy, myself.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
That would be a wash, as the Evernote plugin has been unmaintained for years .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #4
eddierm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That would be a wash, as the Evernote plugin has been unmaintained for years .
Thanks for answering... I know Evernote is almost dead in koreader (for not saying completely dead jajaja) but I would like to use Joplin for my highlights ... I am not savvy but not entirely a newbie ... it's just I don't understand the joplin's "help" section: I don't understand how to set it up on koreader, nor how to connect my kobo to a joplin's server...

That's what I am asking for: one easy guide to setup properly Joplin... can anybody help me?
Old 03-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierm View Post
Thanks for answering... I know Evernote is almost dead in koreader (for not saying completely dead jajaja) but I would like to use Joplin for my highlights ... I am not savvy but not entirely a newbie ... it's just I don't understand the joplin's "help" section: I don't understand how to set it up on koreader, nor how to connect my kobo to a joplin's server...

That's what I am asking for: one easy guide to setup properly Joplin... can anybody help me?
You need to run an instance of Joplin on your computer (and eventually in other devices). The communication between your devices can be done with dropbox or any other cloud service that Joplin supports.

But, for transferring notes between KOReader and your main instance at your computer you'll need to set up a relay on your computer that listen in a specific port for incomming notes.

That's the technical part and what confuses most users. It is basically a single command (OS dependant). From the in-app instructions:

Code:
To export to Joplin, you must forward the IP and port used by this plugin to the localhost:port on which Joplin is listening. This can be done with socat or a similar program. For example:
For Windows: netsh interface portproxy add listeningaddress:0.0.0.0 listeningport:41185 connectaddress:localhost connectport:41184
For Linux: $socat tcp-listen:41185,reuseaddr,fork tcp:localhost:41184
The info there is a bit generic. But (always assuming Windows) , if you assign an static IP to your ereader you can use the command

Code:
netsh interface portproxy add listeningaddress:DEVICE_IP listeningport:41185 connectaddress:localhost connectport:41184
Or if you know the subnet of your home and only want to relay notes from your LAN:
Code:
netsh interface portproxy add listeningaddress:HOME_SUBNET listeningport:41185 connectaddress:localhost connectport:41184
And make sure there's no rules on your firewall blocking incomming connections. It shouldn't be an issue when using one of these commands, but aaanyway.

Frankly, these instructions are not ok for most users, so users that are not willing to run these commands should use another methods for syncing their notes, like KoHighlights or exporting them to JSON/text/html and importing them in their liked notes program.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
eddierm

Hello again and thanks for your answer @pazos

I am still stucked here but I will try to be more especific in what I am doing and my questions.

Quote:
netsh interface portproxy add listeningaddressEVICE_IP listeningport:41185 connectaddress:localhost connectport:41184
I have installed Joplin on my windows 10 laptop. I have entered in PowerShell and the correct command was not the one in the help section... itwas this that worked for me:

Code:
netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listeningaddress:192.168.0.199 listeningport:41185 connectaddress:localhost connectport:41184
Then I disabled my firewall an ping to my kobo address (here 192.168.0.199)

everything ok ...

I went to my kobo with koreader and tried to configure in the joplin's section of evernote plugin... there, I had to put 3 values: my IP (I put my computer's IP, here 192.168.0.190), then the port: 41185 (default) and finally the authentication key that I built as a master pass in Joplin app in my PC... Restarted koreader and tried to export notes... my kobo gets crashed:

Colossal image deleted. It was too big for the forum software to reduce. Please reduce the image and repost, but read the Guidelines regarding photo size first.

Idon't know if I am doing anything wrong, but tried to change the porto to 41184 and to change the ip address to my kob's but nothing seems to work...

Once again thanks for your help!

Last edited by issybird; 04-02-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
I think you need to enable the server part on your joplin client (on your pc). No idea how it works as I don't use that feature.

Anyways, the crash is a bug. If the client isn't listening a message should be enough. There's no need to crash the whole program
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
eddierm

Hi again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
I think you need to enable the server part on your joplin client (on your pc). No idea how it works as I don't use that feature.

Anyways, the crash is a bug. If the client isn't listening a message should be enough. There's no need to crash the whole program
I don't find a way to activate some kind of joplin server... I activated the web clipper (listenning in port 41184) but can't find anything else!

I was looking into the joplin's github webpage, but there don't mention the server as a plugin or something like that...

I think I would have to resign!