Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #181
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"I can see your voice."
I don't even know what that means. Does the speaker have synesthesia?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #182
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's the title of a new TV show on Fox that I keep seeing the commercial for.

Quote:
Each week one contestant will have the chance to win a cash prize if he or she can tell the difference between the good and bad singers, without ever hearing them sing a note. Helping the contestant navigate through rounds of lip sync challenges, hilarious hidden clues and true-or-false evidence will be a panel of celebrity comedians/experts and a musical superstar. In the end, the singers whom the contestants pick will reveal if they are good or bad in a duet performance with the musical superstar, resulting in an amazing musical collaboration or a totally hilarious train wreck.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #183
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, a pun.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #184
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's the title of a new TV show on Fox that I keep seeing the commercial for.
That description sure didn't make me want to see the show.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #185
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
That description sure didn't make me want to see the show.
Nor I. That, coupled with possibly the stupidest title ever ruled it out for me. But then again, even the more aptly titled "Guess who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket without hearing them sing" wouldn't have convinced me to watch, either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:28 AM   #186
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Passing Strange

Why is it popping up so often. I get the impression from some usages that the speaker/writer thinks it comes from a Victorian novel - e.g Austen or one of the Brontë sisters.

It's from Othello

Out of an abundance of caution… - when politicians and their toady bureaucrats use it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #187
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"They" used as a pronoun for a person who doesn't identify as "he" or "she". Before the PC police jump all over me - I DO understand that some people don't want to be called "he" or "she" and I don't have a problem with that. I just think we need a new singular word. The plural "they" is confusing to me.

For example, not long ago I heard a news story on NPR's All Things Considered and I thought the reporter was talking about multiple people. Eventually I realized out they were actually talking about just one person who didn't identify as "he" or "she".
Old 04-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #188
arjaybe
Guru

The epicene "they" as a third person singular pronoun is regaining acceptance. It was banished by grammar cops in the 19th century after it had been common in English for centuries. Even when I was growing up it was common amongst my peers and had to be trained out of us in school. I'm glad it's making a comeback.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:11 AM   #189
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've got a late complaint just come in from the 17th Century:

Thomas Ellwood would like to condemn the “corrupt and unsound form of speaking in the plural number to a single person, you to one, instead of thou, contrary to the pure, plain and single language of truth, thou to one and you to more than one.”
—The History of the life of Thomas Ellwood
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #190
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
As a contrary comment, one thing that makes me happy is that in the twentieth century, babies and small children began to be referred to by gender, instead of "IT". I find that antique usage very annoying.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #191
tempest@de
Evangelist
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
"you know"

Not sure if this is common or if I just lucked out, I was listening to a podcast and the host and the guest used this expression a lot, it seemed that it was used at the end of every sentenc, by the end it was rather annoying.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #192
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
"ummm"

Not a phrase but one talk show my wife had on, the guest used that about 3 times in every sentence. "Ummm, I was in California, ummm, for about 3 months and then, ummm, I relocated to Atlanta, ummm, due to a new role."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #193
arjaybe
Guru

On a similar note, "and, uh ..." I think it's mostly to hold the floor.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #194
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
"you know"

Not sure if this is common or if I just lucked out, I was listening to a podcast and the host and the guest used this expression a lot, it seemed that it was used at the end of every sentenc, by the end it was rather annoying.
It's common in everyday casual speaking, especially with younger people, but it used to be rare among professional broadcasters. However, I've heard it more often from reporters in the last year or so. I find it really annoying.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #195
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@ tempest@de

"You know" is very common in much of the American Midwest -- Wisconsin, Minnesota, northern Illinois --- you often hear it a lot on broadcasts of Chicago sports....
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote