Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wasn't there recently some regulations that went into place by the EU that required electronic devices to have user replaceable batteries? If this is the case it is going to be difficult for Amazon to bring the Kindle to Europe in this form.

Also, if that regulation is true, how is Apple able to sell the Macbook Air and the new MacBook Pro 17inch in Europe? Both have internal non-user replaceable batteries.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #62
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wasn't there recently some regulations that went into place by the EU that required electronic devices to have user replaceable batteries? If this is the case it is going to be difficult for Amazon to bring the Kindle to Europe in this form.
Like most EU stuff that may actually be of benefit, it's well into the future.
The rule (according to The Register's report) will be that 45% of devices have such batteries by 2016.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...pells_trouble/
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #63
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Like most EU stuff that may actually be of benefit, it's well into the future.
The rule (according to The Register's report) will be that 45% of devices have such batteries by 2016.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...pells_trouble/
Ah... ok that's forever. We might not even have batteries as we know them today by then. We could have fuel cells that you recharge with methane or nitrogen at that time. Or, current battery tech could improve the life alot. Of course, battery designers always have to strongly consider planned obsolesce to keep the market alive.

BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"Tritschler announced today that the Kindle 2's battery can replaced under warranty for a year. After that, it can be replaced in the Amazon factory for $59."

Oh yeah, thats a BIG improvement. Going from a $20 replaceable battery, which I haven't needed to replace, to having amazon replace for me for $59, plus shipping both ways? I can't see them paying for it.
So what you do is just before the warranty expires, send the K2 in for a new battery. Then you'll get at least another year out of it.

What I find seriously misleading is that the Users Guide specifically states that the battery is replaceable. To me that would mean user replaceable, not having to send it back to have it replaced. As for the SD slot, I agree is not nice to remove it. But personally, it would not bother me. The last time I used the SD slot (Sony) for books was when I brought my SD card to SonyStyle to try out the 505 before I bought one.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-11-2009 at 11:01 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #65
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9127739

The lack of SD card doesn't really bother me but the $59 charge to replace the battery after a year definitely urks me. I've never been a fan of having to send my device in to have something as simple as a battery replaced.
The lack of an SD card really bothers me, and let's not forget, with respect to the battery, the user is going to be (1) without his or her Kindle for the time it takes to send it into the factory, have it processed, and have it sent back, (2) stuck with the costs of postage - probably on top of the $59 replacement charge, and (3) expected to entrust their $360 Kindle II to the USPS, or pay a whole lot more to UPS or FedEx to ship it?

The more I know about the Kindle II, the more I love my original Kindle, and the happier I am that I bought three of them while I had the chance. I won't be "upgrading" until Amazon offers a product that actually is an upgrade. Not a downgrade with a facelift and makeup.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #66
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
yea I wouldn't mess with it while its still under warranty, bite the bullet and send er in

Quote:
Of course. about 30 minutes after they get it into their nimble little hands.

BUT, if you do this, and then have problems with the unit afterwards, will Amazon stand behind it, or will they say that because you replaced it yourself, its warranty if void?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #67
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Of course. about 30 minutes after they get it into their nimble little hands.

BUT, if you do this, and then have problems with the unit afterwards, will Amazon stand behind it, or will they say that because you replaced it yourself, its warranty if void?
Personally, I wouldn't open one while it was still under warranty, but afterwards, I'd be pretty tempted to replace the battery myself if it should need it, and if correct information and materials were available. Well, unless it's glued shut like an old Palm V.

It'd be nice if it were possible to get a new battery right before the warranty ran out, but I'm wondering if Amazon would do that. Other companies I've dealt with want to see about a 50% loss of battery capacity before they'll even consider a battery swap under warranty. The way my luck runs, batteries usually only begin failing the day after the warranty expires...

Last edited by wayrad; 02-11-2009 at 12:42 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #68
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I have very mixed feelings about it. From an ease-of-maintenance perspective, Amazon undoubtedly feels native storage and a locked battery are simplifying characteristics; my own impression is that they have needlessly made the ability to add personal content to the device more difficult, and that the battery may prove a thorn in everyone's side down the road.

However, as an iPhone user I am slowly adapting to the lack of SD and user-removable batteries... and at one time I swore I would never own a phone that lacked those features! Amazon has apparently borrowed a page from Apple stylistically, so once can hope the reliability of the Kindle 2 at least equals the stability and performance I've come to expect from Apple's devices, as well.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #69
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm coming late to the party here but I just wanted to agree with the sentiment that not having an SD slot or a replaceable battery is a problem.

For heaven' sake, I have an absolutely tiny phone and they managed to accept both a replaceable battery (which I did need replaced less than a month after I got the phone), and an SD card (8 Gig and maxed out).

What if I want an entire library in my hand? There was a company called Blackmask or something that offered something like 20,000+ books. The only reason i don't have something like that on my Kindle now is the lack of Folders support.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #70
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
The lack of user replaceable battery is less of an issue to me (since the extended warranty is about the same price as the battery). Yes, it's a hassle to have to send it in, but that's not a deal killer.

More of a concern to me is the lack of an SD card. I currently use my PDA as my MP3 player (utilizing SD cards) and would love to be able to do the same with the Kindle. I do a lot of reading when I travel, and I like having music when I'm reading on a plane, for example. Obviously, I wouldn't need to load my entire library on the Kindle, as not all of it makes for good background music, but on some trips, I might like a bit larger library.

I'm comfortable in actively maintaining what's on the card vs. what's backed up on my computer, and the multi-use charging/synching cable will help facilitate it, but an SD card would have been much nicer.

Of course, I'll still be purchasing the K2 as soon as those rewards certificates get here...
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
The lack of user replaceable battery is less of an issue to me (since the extended warranty is about the same price as the battery). Yes, it's a hassle to have to send it in, but that's not a deal killer.
Warranties cover manufacturing defects, not normal wear and tear items. I don't see how paying for an extended warranty gets you a new battery?

BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #72
Beth loves books
Beth loves books began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
The lack of an SD slot does bother me. I make a lot of PDF's that take up a lot of space and the SD card makes storing and transferring them easier.

About the ipod analogy, not having an easily way to replace the battery isn't much of an issue for most people since new ipods with better technology quickly make the old ones obsolete. I think if Apple slowed down the release of new technology, people'd be more likely to notice such things.
Beth loves books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #73
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
To me, an SD (or equivalent) is vital. If your running non-DRM'ed books, and your machine fails (battery or whatever), you just pop out the SD, and put it into another machine. (and it doesn't even have to be the same brand). You can even back it up on your computer. If all your books are on the internal memory, and the machine breaks, you may have to reload the repaired machine all over again....

(I said may not necessarilty have to).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #74
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I understand the battery situation better than the lack of a card port. Form factor is important and one of the things I like best about this redesign.

And while I can understand the desire for the card port I myself am not using those ports on my Sony. Part of that is the battery life and native memory performance advantage, at least in the Sony. I "get" the appeal of carrying around my entire book collection (or even a year's worth) but it is not awkward for me to copy books to my reader, maxing out around 20 books, and delete books when I'm done, never exceeding the built-in memory.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #75
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think Amazon could have crammed in at least a micro SD slot, if it would have cut back on the battery charge life a bit I could live with that, none of my electronics can go 2 weeks on a charge. I'm used to charging something nearly everyday
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote