Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Strether - with the battery being non-replaceable, I am guessing it is totally different from the K1's battery, so it should be treated differently..dunno, I will look it up.

Hey, look on the bright side. Those expensive leather cases for the Kindle 1 are sure to come down in price! I've always wanted one, but I can't drop 50 bucks for it. We'll see!
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
As with any company that manufactures "things", I am sure they have a replacement cost on every replaceable item. That is not indicative of the expected failure rate, but just good business practice.

Plus it is free for the first year!

Of COURSE its free the first year. The Kindle has a one year warranty!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
MattEcho
MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MattEcho has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Ipods have never had replacable batteries, and the vast majority of its users dont know how/dont care to know how to replace them on thier own. And yet there is no public outcry about that....
I'm curious if that's because the Ipod battery failure rate is low and the Kindle battery rate is high. I couldn't care less if I have a removable battery as long as I never have to worry about it.

Matt
MattEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Ipods have never had replacable batteries, and the vast majority of its users dont know how/dont care to know how to replace them on thier own. And yet there is no public outcry about that....
The fiasco about Apple's batteries didn't start so much with the iPod, but with the iPhone. The iPhone also had a non user-replaceable battery, and a hefty cost for replacing it. This caused many lawsuits to be produced against Apple for "misleading info" about the battery life and the costs to replace it.

It's the one con of getting either an iPod or an iPhone.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Of COURSE its free the first year. The Kindle has a one year warranty!
Hey... What can I say... I am a "cup half full" kinda guy.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
"That's room for 1,500 books," Tritschler said,
Not if you like audiobooks... or comic books.

Quote:
noting that any book a Kindle user buys is backed up on Amazon's servers -- and is available to the reader at any time.
AT ANY TIME. Ever. Is that so? Are they promising to keep purchased books around forever, regardless of publisher decisions?

Hm. "At any time" has another meaning... do they also agree to never have server glitches that make the service unavailable?

Quote:
"There's no need for additional storage."
Fascinating how their decisions about customer needs are being pitched as an "upgrade."

We decided you don't need this service, therefore we removed it... and it's BETTER now! Really!
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey... What can I say... I am a "cup half full" kinda guy.

You got the new Kindle2, right?

When you get it, I hope you fall just as much in love with it as I did with my Kindle1.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #23
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
funny how they market the Kindle II as multimedia ready, play your music, audio books, ebooks, magazine, newspapers, etc. Can't store much of all that at the same time on the Kindle II
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
funny how they market the Kindle II as multimedia ready, play your music, audio books, ebooks, magazine, newspapers, etc. Can't store much of all that at the same time on the Kindle II
Hey, if the man says thats all you need, who are we to doubt his oh so expert word???
Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #25
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
At first, right before the k2 was released, and the rumors were floating that there was going to be no sd card slot, I was really upset, cause I knew that they were going to send k2 to all the people on back order. After the release, and taking the time to think about it, I really dont mind since it has 1.4 gigs for storage. For audio books, its always going to be the ipod for me. I dont get why people would want to try and read comic books and such on the kindle. Just a weird idea to me.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #26
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You got the new Kindle2, right?

When you get it, I hope you fall just as much in love with it as I did with my Kindle1.
Yes... and 15 months from now I will be complaining that the Kindle 3 does not fix all my issues with the Kindle 2 and no snot-nosed NOOB will convince me otherwise.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #27
Cutestory
Voice of Reason
Cutestory began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505
If they'd just add folder support, we wouldn't be talking about this.
Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #28
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutestory View Post
If they'd just add folder support, we wouldn't be talking about this.
This does seem to be a hard spot with all Kindle users. I am assuming that Amazon has not addressed this due to software/firmware limitations that make this more difficult than would appear to that average layperson.

I am hopeful that once they have figured it out, it will not take a hardware upgrade to implement but rather you would one day find that a new version had loaded over whispernet and folders would be available.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes... and 15 months from now I will be complaining that the Kindle 3 does not fix all my issues with the Kindle 2 and no snot-nosed NOOB will convince me otherwise.
ah, but therein lies the rub.

I have no issues with my Kindle. None.

I like the looks, the buttons are great, its a no brainer to learn to use, and does everything I wanted it to.

I've never used audio books with it, cause I can't chew gum and walk at the same time. You really don't want me driving and listening to an audio book, or ironing or much of anything really. Its not safe.

Unlike most 2nd generation versions, I don't feel the new one is an improvement. But again, thats myopinion.

Users who haven't used the K1 won't notice or care about the difference.

As long as the experience is as good for you as it is for me, thats all that matters.

Not even in my mind did I ever think 'snot nosed noob'.

The neat thing about this board? Everyone can usually find a 'meeting of the minds', so to speak.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Tritschler announced today that the Kindle 2's battery can replaced under warranty for a year. After that, it can be replaced in the Amazon factory for $59.
The 2nd year Extended Warranty cost $65 and would cover a complete failure of the battery, but perhaps not a loss of capacity. It has to be bought within 30 days of your K2 shipping. The warrenty is not from Amazon but from Service Net.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote