Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
Ramses505
Ramses505 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Issue converting ePub to MOBI

I have an ePub file where I have adjusted the line spacing by editing an entry in the 'stylesheet.css' from this;
.calibre5 {
font-family: "Calibri", "sans-serif";
font-size: 1.33333em;
}

to this;
.calibre5 {
font-family: "Calibri", "sans-serif";
font-size: 1.33333em;
line-height: 2.0em
}

Adding the line-height modifier and checking that the text in the file preview looks something like I am after. However, after converting the file to a MOBI format, the spacing of the lines in the paragraghs of text are not changed from how they were before I adjusted them in the ePub file. When I go back to the ePub file, my edits show and the paragraph text spacing still looks correct as per my edits.

What is happening and how can I maybe get things to look the way I need them ?

Thanks for reading and any helpful suggestions.
Ramses505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
convert to azw3 not mobi.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
line-height 2.0 not 2em (there is no units allowed)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does the Kindle accept line heights of greater then 1.2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Ramses505
Ramses505 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks very much for the replies. I am grateful but confused. Kovid states (and I have seen he has stated it several times in answer to different questions) that mobi files do not have the ability to change line height; is that just a fact ? In which case I presume that trying to adjust using the css file is pointless if the ultimate goal is conversion to mobi format ? It is true that if I convert to azw3, the conversion does seem to match the format of the input epub. I am trying to learn something here as well as solve my problem. :-)

Thanks to all fo the help.
Ramses505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses505 View Post
Kovid states (and I have seen he has stated it several times in answer to different questions) that mobi files do not have the ability to change line height; is that just a fact ? In which case I presume that trying to adjust using the css file is pointless if the ultimate goal is conversion to mobi format ? It is true that if I convert to azw3, the conversion does seem to match the format of the input epub.
MOBI format is based on the outdated HTML 3 specification. It has limited formatting and does not support anything equivalent to line-height.

KF8 (azw3) format is based on a newer HTML version and does support line-height.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote