Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
zakman
Enthusiast
zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019
Conversion question - adding indents and removing blank lines

I use Calibre to convert ebooks to AZW3 format for my Kindle, and from time to time I encounter files that have two properties I'm not fond of:

1. No indents at the beginning of paragraphs.
2. Blank lines between paragraphs.

I prefer the formatting of my ebooks to mimic that of my print books as closely as possible, so the above can get annoying at times.

I can fix this on a per-book basis by importing the book into Word, tweaking the formatting, and exporting back out to AZW3, but I'd really prefer not to do that for my entire library.

Can Calibre be configured to spot formatting like this and fix it on the fly during the conversion process?
zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:56 AM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Yes, you can configure Calibre to do these things, by adding entries into the Extra CSS and Transform Styles portions under Common Options/Look and Feel.

Here's a link to get you started:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/con...n.html#styling

Last edited by deback; 02-12-2021 at 08:57 AM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2021, 01:15 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There are options on the "Layout" tab of the "Look & Feel" page of the conversion options to do this. You can have calibre remove the space between the paragraphs and how much indent to use.

But, it needs some experimenting as the book could be doing it in another way. I have a few books that put an empty paragraph between each paragraph. That has to be removed in the editor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are converting an ePub to KF8 (AZW3), load the ePub into the Calibre editor and fix the CSS to remove the paragraph spaces and add indents. Then you don't have to convert and text until you get it how you want as it will already be as you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote