Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
need help converting .pdf to other formats

I have a customer (as in I really don't get paid, but I'm trying to help her out w/ her magazine). She produces via Adobe InDesign a very beautiful magazine w/ lots of graphics. The original print format is about 5 1/2 X 8 3/4 (half of a 8 1/2 X 11) long ways.

I'm trying to help her bring the magazine to book readers. What she's sending me is a beautiful .pdf but when I run it through calibre's converter, it's not preserving any of that format.

So, I wondered if you had suggestions as to a format she might save it in or what specifications she'd use in InDesign so that I could use calibre to output to the various book reader formats.

Sorry if this is not the right place for the question or it's too basic.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you tried mobipocket creator professional?

Its free......Not sure if it would suit your purpose, but its worth a try.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloa...ilscreator.asp
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
PDF is notoriously difficult to convert to any other format with good results. Almost any other format would be better. Good options would be HTML or ePub as these are easy to convert to other formats (if required) with good results.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote