Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
Page numbering in exported books

Recently I saw Calibre includes three options of adding page numbers in ebooks exported to a Paperwhite: fast, accurate, and pagebreak. Which is more accurate: accurate or pagebreak?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It depends on the individual books in question (whether they have internal page breaks that correspond to physical pages or not or not) and what you mean by accurate. Accurate compared to what?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 AM   #3
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm taking the Polish translation of "Son" by Jo Nesbo as an example - the printed version (20 x 13 cm) has 430 pages, while Calibre calculates it to be around 630. And that is fine I guess for a pocket version, what I'm just looking at is calculation for a hardcover size, it's personally more convenient for me. However, there is another thread I'm in where it says one can specify a number of pages Calibre can divide a book into - not sure yet how to do that.

Regarding accurate vs. pagebreak division - I guess it's better to go for a pagebreak option, as even if a book doesn't have them, then the other option will be used, am I correct? I'm just wondering if a book can have incorrect page breaks included.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A pagebreak in an e-book, typically does not correspond to a page break in a paper book. In most ebooks, page breaks are usually found only at the start of new chanpters, for instance.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
Buhaj47
Zealot

Having that in mind, I mean page counting in Calibre seems to be based on a pocketbook format, not the full one (around 19 x 12 cm). And do not get me wrong - I use Calibre for my ebooks all the time and find it a solid piece of software.

Coming back to the method of calculating pages in the program, does pagebreak also apply the rules of accurate method, just adding page break check? Also, can I define a maximum number of pages Calibre will divide a book into?

Last edited by Buhaj47; 02-20-2018 at 05:42 AM. Reason: question added
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhaj47 View Post
Having that in mind, I mean page counting in Calibre seems to be based on a pocketbook format, not the full one (around 19 x 12 cm). And do not get me wrong - I use Calibre for my ebooks all the time and find it a solid piece of software.

Coming back to the method of calculating pages in the program, does pagebreak also apply the rules of accurate method, just adding page break check? Also, can I define a maximum number of pages Calibre will divide a book into?
Um, why not use the Page Count plugin? It will give you more options how to calculate the number of pages.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Buhaj47
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Um, why not use the Page Count plugin? It will give you more options how to calculate the number of pages.
Just installed it, page numbers are now counted the way I wanted.