Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
palooka33
palooka33 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Nook Glowlight Plus Screen Issue - Scratched?

Hello,

Yesterday I pulled my beloved Nook Glowlight Plus out of my bag, and when I turned it on to start to read, I noticed a white spot on the screen. It looked like a speck of dust, but when I tried to wipe it away it just stayed there.

In the dark, it appears to be a bright spot, with the backlight bleeding through. It doesn't feel scratched, but it looks like it is. It looks like a scratch on the top of the screen, not on the e-ink layer itself, if that makes sense.

I have attached a photo. The spot is small, but it is very annoying while reading.

Is there anything I can do to repair this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170828_192039.jpg (969.3 KB, 688 views)
palooka33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Likely nothing you can do to fix it. The original Glowlight was very prone to this kind of damage, I think the Plus was supposed to be better. I'm not a particular fan of covers, but if you're carrying it in a bag with other stuff something to protect the screen from scratches would be a good idea.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you have a case on your nook when you put it in your bag?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by palooka33 View Post
Is there anything I can do to repair this problem?
No. It's physical damage to the light guide layer of the screen (which is the top layer).

It might be less obvious at a different viewing angle.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, unfortunately the old Nook has a light diffuser which is very easily scratched, and the light is shining through the scratch. There's nothing you can do about it. I'd really suggest keeping the device in a cover to avoid such damage in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert