Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #31
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
It has the option, so I would say it is designed to charge through USB. So it should work.
Only through a PC, not through a wall charger
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Only through a PC, not through a wall charger
There is no difference. Voltage is voltage - it does not matter where it comes from. It could be a solar battery pack, or a car cigarette lighter socket, or even a pedal powered generator.

The only caveat is that the PC has to generate enough current - which frankly some PCs do not. But if you are using a powered USB hub, then there should be no problem.

I have charged my PB302 via the USB socket (which the manual says you can do) from a solar battery pack, and a car booster battery pack. Also my PC (via a powered hub). All have worked ok.

While I have charged my PB302 via these methods - I have never left it on long enough to get the final green light saying it has been FULLY charged. But it does charge ok.

I still think that there is something funny about the charging system - it takes way too long even using the normal factory supplied charger.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #33
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
kgn: Some devices (e.g., the Sony readers) will only charge if hooked up to a computer. Plug one into a wall adapter and it will not charge.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #34
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
OK, I'll have to live with that (carrying 2 chargers i.o. one). It's a pity though.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #35
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
kgn: Some devices (e.g., the Sony readers) will only charge if hooked up to a computer. Plug one into a wall adapter and it will not charge.
It seems you might be right. Some devices use the USB D+/D- lines to switch from high current to low current charging. I have been able to charge my PB302 with a number of USB chargers with no problems. Perhaps some USB chargers do not control the D+/D- lines correctly??

I have used -
a cheap solar battery pack (bought from ebay). I use this mainly when camping. It charged my PB302 with no problems.

I also have used Motorola wall type USB charger - this is from my bluetooth headset. At home, I use this charger for all my USB chargeable 'toys'.

So it seems that as far as the PB302 at least is concerned, it can be charged with a generic USB charger. Perhaps it does not work with the one specific USB charger you tried - I suggest that you just try another USB charger. From personal experience, some at least do work.
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #36
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
It has the option, so I would say it is designed to charge through USB. So it should work.
The manual says it can be done through the USB port connected to a computer.
If it does not do this and that's what you want then you have a defective product and should return it.

It also be that the device uses a non standard format and must use the supplied cable or that it requires that some data signal is needed to start the charging.

If it charges in the computer and not on the wall wart then you may need to carry an extra charger if you are going to be away from computer for a couple weeks.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #37
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
The USB spec is for 5.2v, I believe. Not all wallchargers are actually putting that much out. I have found blackberry wallchargers are reliable for charging any USB device.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #38
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Connecting to internet/wifi drains the battery enormously and if the battery isn't 100% loaded, the device freezes easily. Internet connection is best realised when on external power.
Further changing settings is also a serious source of loss of charge.
I am now looking at the 16.000 page claim: just reading, not changing anything or doing anything else. Not sure yet, but I still have the impression that my Cybook Opus (claims 8.000 pages) lasts longer.
I have set the autorotation off; but I think touchscreen is a permanent power user also and a reason why the 302 will never do 16.000 pageturns simply because it has a bigger battery.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #39
adbosch
Addict

Reading The Brothers Karamazov right now and am on page 615 of 2170 page(turns, according to FBReader). Battery is at 60%. At 40% the device will definitely start to freeze and garble. That means about 1500 pages per charge would be quite optimistic.
If one reads about 200 pages a day that would mean recharging once every week.
NB I have set screen rotation off and haven't used the device for anything else but reading without changing any setting and turning it off when not reading.

Last edited by adbosch; 07-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #40
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
I read about 1000 pages a week, make about 5 notes a day and have wifi on about once a week. I charge every week and half to two weeks, and have never gone below 2 bars on the indicator. I use the automatic rotation, but not for page turning.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #41
adbosch
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I read about 1000 pages a week, make about 5 notes a day and have wifi on about once a week. I charge every week and half to two weeks, and have never gone below 2 bars on the indicator. I use the automatic rotation, but not for page turning.
Which is still far from 16.000 pageturns and even far from 8.000.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #42
kgn
Groupie

Quote:
Reading The Brothers Karamazov right now and am on page 615 of 2170 page(turns, according to FBReader). Battery is at 60%. At 40% the device will definitely start to freeze and garble. That means about 1500 pages per charge would be quite optimistic.
The freezing thing seems weird. My unit has NEVER frozen, nor garbled anything. I often go below 40%. Li-Ion batteries have a fairly flat discharge curve - but I guess your unit could be a bit worse than most. Perhaps you should replace the battery?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #43
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
adbosch, it looks like you might have a defective battery in your reader as kgn also suspected. Like brainycat I read about 1000 pages weekly with automatic rotation is off and without doing anything with wifi, notes, etc - just plain reading 98% of the time. I haven't charged the reader for about 2.5 weeks (2000 - 2500 pages total) and only one bar is gone so far.
After reading this topic I became curios and kind of trying to see how long the buttery will last in mine PB302
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #44
adbosch
Addict

I suppose the battery is user-replaceable? Where can I get one (in the Netherlands or Germany/Luxembourg)?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #45
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Write an E-Mail with the description of your problem (perhaps also a link to this topic and your nickname on this forum) to service@pocketbook.de
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote